Nudity: Helpful or Hurtful?

BiCent

I was asking myself the other night if nudity is helpful or hurtful in today society? Would more social nudity help change people's insecurities of themselves or hurt it.

On the one hand, I thought it would help people's perception of what real people look like...to break stereotypes, etc. To allow people to accept the different sizes and shapes we each come in.

On the other hand, I thought that it would make those that are insecure or have poor self image issues even more insecure.

So what do you think? Would more social nudity help or hurt people in general?

There is more male nudity in US TV than ever before:

Queer As Folk

Six Feet Under

Nip/Tuck

OZ

L-Word

etc.

The thing is that the media in general shows us almost only good-looking people in the nude. In TV-Series or commercials for example.

On one hand I find it very positive that more nudity is included in TV or advertisment.

On the other hand it doesn't reflect how most people look in real life.

Jason Bond

It can only make things better. As more and more people realise that the stereotypes we are allowed to see are just that, stereotypes.

We all like looking at beautiful people with good bodies and perfect teeth, but how many do we know in real life?

You never know, compulsory nudity might make more people take care of themselves. You'll never see me nude until I do something about my stomach (which at least hides the horror of my thighs from view), the bat wings under my arms and my arse (which is covered in carpet burns. I keep forgetting it's there and I run across the room naked to answer the 'phone).

Sod the size of my dick, it's the size of the rest of me that gets me down frown.gif

Totally Helpful! I think that if more people where nudists, then the whole country would be a better place. My reasoning is that it would break through the prudish taboo that has a hold on nudity, and it would show that the people who like being naked aren't perverts.

Now if nudity was allowed everywhere, and there were people fucking each other on the middle of a sidewalk, then I could see it posing as a problem, but there is a strong difference between nudity and sex in public; which is why I think it is illegal. The government always thinks about the worst of any situation and that would be on their minds if this was made legal.

If more people were nude, then people wouldn't have to feel bad about their bodies. People wouldn't feel ashamed about being naked even if their bodies weren't HBO material.

American's have MANY issues dealing with their own bodies, hence why this website is available. It is a form of coping with insecurity. Once you stay here long enough, you overcome your insecurities, as well as you would overcome being nude in front of other people, who are also nude.

We should have the choice... at least to be nude in our own backyards... yeah, and as long as there are fences to keep the public eye out of sight. But we, as people in this country, are too stupid to realize that if something bothers us, then we should just turn around; or turn it off if it is on Television.

Call me crazy, call me kooky, or call me wacky, but that is just my take on nudity.