Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort

BigAl2003

Hey Evreyone,

The Folks affected by Hurricane Katrina Serously need our help. If you are able to help in any way, please contact one of the following agencies:

The American Red Cross ($5 minimum donation)

www.redcross.org Or 1-800-HelpNow

arc-header.jpg

The Salvation Army (No Stated Minimum)

www.salvationarmyusa.org Or 1-800-SAL-ARMY

dtmg.gif

For a complete list of other agencies and how to donate with that paticular agency, please click here.-List provided by Network For Good (these include shelters, pet rescue orginizations, local united ways, etc.etc.etc.)

However you choose to help, please HELP NOW!! Please remember those affected in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank You For your help Measurection!

A side note-Some websites, such as yahoo, are accepting donations, but most require a minimum donation(Yahoo, $25)so for a lesser amount, go directly to your choice of charitable organizations.

[Edited to make images into active links.]

The whole thing is terrible. I see that America can help out others, like the Tsunami 2 days after it happened, but here we are 4 days later, still waiting for help. And how about our president saying "if you don't need gas, don't buy it" who the hell DOESN'T need gas?!?! I am just going to stop typing before I get more upset about the entire situation.

Well, duhbya finally got around to doing some damage control today. Damage to him and the republican power in the country. Did you know he actually cut his latest vacation two days short because of the disaster? The Fed is offering the explanation the explanation that on Saturday last, when duhbya declared the area a disaster zone, it gave the mayors of the cities and the governors of the states the right and power to ask for aid. Guess what? None of them asked so nobody did anything. Personally I didn't think asking was necessary, perhaps if they were able to communicate they would have. Interestingly enough, the rich social elite of the areas were gone before it happened. The ones that missed those flights left immediately after. Poor folks are expendable. Besides, if they die they don't cost you anything. The shocking thingis, we finally look like the thrid world country we've been for a while now. The dirty little secret is out.

Thom, I feel I must point out , that both Kathleen Blanco (Dem), and Haley Barbour (Rep) were constantly on Larry King Live before, during and after the storm hit their respective states. They had enough contact with the outside world to be on national television. There is some blame to be spread among all officials, and the lack of planning for a predictible natural disaster was rediculous, but there is only so much you can do after the fact in a short amount of time. It is worthless to have thousands of trucks waiting to go into new orleans if there are no roads left for them to drive on. As a college student who attends (at this point, it may be attended) a university within New Orleans, watching the city die has been extremly painful for me. The only thing we as a community can do is open our checkbooks and our cities to those who have had there lives destroyed and hope we can give them at least some normalcy until they can be resettled or can rebuild their homes.

This has turned into a farce on epic proportions. I saw on the news it was declared a disaster area & I assumed that when than happened the aid was automatic. As I watch the news this morning I see some help is getting there. I just just mean the odd helicopter drooping a few food parcels & the youngest & fittest getting there, I believe more substantial aid, I hope that it right.

On the poor & unwanted, let me tell those rich pigs it is us poor that do all your dirty work. Without us you would have to wipe your own backsides!

OK, I do accept that it can be harder to get supplies into such a large area in the hours after such a disaster. I can see getting trucks in when there are no roads or it is under several feet of water. What I cannot see is why they didn't airdrop more relief in such as food, watter, blankets, etc, what they knew people would need. Before someone says that couldn't do this as they didn't know what people needed, we all know what they needed. America has God knows how many helicopters, there was also immediate offer of help from many countries including my own to assist in anyway possible.

I must also say I will not accept some of the excuses for not evacuating more. I believe the Federal government could have ordered airlines, bus companies, trains, etc to get those people out before it hit. I am not sating they could get them all out, but a slower convoy of trains & buses could have been used. Planes & helicopters could have been sent there. Charging people to use a plane, or whatever in such a situation is not acceptable as this only allowed those who had money to get out. I have heard several say "We couldn't get a bus, they were full" or we couldn't get on a plane I didn't have any money. As soon as the Mayor ordered an evacuation the priorities should have changed & anyone who needed to get out should have at least be given the chance to. OK, you can say there wasn't enough time to get them all out, you couldn't get enough planes, or train, buses or helicopters in to New Orleans & the surrounding area in time, I agree, but that is no excuse for not trying harder.

One point, the area was & still is under water, isn't there boats in America!!!!!?

This is America for God's sake, America. I would love to believe Britain could have coped better, though if it had happened here it would mean the entire British Isles, including Ireland would have been destroyed. Too large an area of America some say to help in such a short time. If that is true then God help us all!

Apparently those who couldn't get out on their own were told to go to the Super Dome. For some idiotic reason the city officials assumed that the levies would hold and the pumping stations would not be destroyed. Had that been the case, people and services would have been able to move in and out of the Super Dome within a few hours after the storm passed.

Alan G