Site Name / Site Mission

JTT

We get asked a lot about the site's name, and our mission here.

While our site started with the "theme" of "small penis", it has become SO much MORE. It has taken on the tone of a "men's health site". Our new slogan is "Discussing Man at Length!" and while there is a pun to "length" we have taken on a broader scope of discussions.

The main issue that everyone seems to have, no matter what the issue or problem that brings them to us, is self-confidence issues. Many people believe there is something wrong with them because they are different... because they are sexually confused... or because their equipment isn't quite working like everyone else's. Once they get past that... and accept themselves, become more confident, and love themselves for who they are... the other issues take their place... and their lives improve.

So helping people feel better about themselves is our main goal.

As per our name... let me tell you a little bit about it. While small-x-change remained totally focused on the "small" issue... "Measurection" is a more general term...based on the word "resurrection". A post a while ago, from Sean (our founder) regarding our name:

9/18/01 by Sean

resurrection
1) The act of rising from the dead or returning to life.
2) The state of one who has returned to life.
3) The act of bringing back to practice, notice, or use; revival.

This is really what this site is all about. This was the reason I chose the name of the site.

To rise above any shame or feelings of inadequacy about our bodies and who we are. Know and realize that we are beautiful and that there are many who adore us for who and what we are. The word measure was added for obvious reasons and I removed one of the "r's" for aesthetic purposes. :P  :mrlogo:

Sometimes people think our name is "too narrow", but... we have often embraced it because it was more broad and allowed us to address and include other issues. A term like "amazon" or "yahoo" that could become a "portal" for all things to help men! :)

That is what "Measurection" is to us.... and what it will be to all in the future!  :rockon:   :mrlogo:

Thanks Vinnie.

I was begining to wonder if anyone read this. :smile:

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

Like Vinnie, I think your mission statement is well stated. I read it just after you posted and didn't know if it was informational only or a post to be commented on. Sean and you have managed to do more good for the membership than I suspect either of you will ever fully realise. Thank you to both of you!

Hi Josh,

Having just read your statement above, I am happier about the name than ever. It turns out to be a cleverly multilayered kind of meaning. The focus on helping people overcome feelings of shame or inadequacy is really marvelous, even if we obviously branch out in many directions and cover many topics. It need not be narrowly focused on issues around small cocks, but it does seem worthwhile to have that always visible and "in mind". So *many* guys, even with perfectly "normal"-sized equipment, have self-esteem problems because of that one silly genetic detail (and I don't exclude myself, though I think I've come quite a long way).

It's also cute how the word isn't blatantly "dirty", yet

it does more or less incorporate "erection" :^)

Occasionally I'm just a tiny bit dismayed by how strongly the ruler logo seems to suggest a Christianity theme to a casual onlooker, but perhaps I'm being too literal-minded or something. I would think and hope we welcome people here of all faiths (and of no faith, like myself), as long as they are about collegiality and support rather than exclusivity and negativity.

Finally, I just want to say a very big thanks to you and the others who keep the site going, for your collective work. The site is wonderfully navigable and usable and interesting.

--Richard

Richard,

Great post! thumbup.gif And, [color:"red"]WELCOME [/color] since I don't believe I've done that before. Your intelligence and sensitivity are apparent and I hope you do more posting soon! Not speaking for Josh, just saw this before him. [color:"blue"]ALL ARE WELCOME HERE! [/color] I noticed this is only your third post and that you are a relatively newcomer, it's not at all infrequent for members to bring religion into a thread if only in a "praying for" way. IMHO I think a large portion of the membership believe being spiritual may be as important if not moreso than religious. You seem to have a beautiful spirit and that's always welcome here. wave.gif

Thank you both very kindly! I certainly plan to post whenever time

allows... there are plenty of interesting discussions going on.

Speaking of names: now the only little thing I'm having second thoughts

about is this username I chose. Not that I'm at all ashamed of what it

refers to... but there might be lots of future contexts in which I'm not

interested in bringing the sexual / physical area into the conversation,

and the name almost seems like an unwanted intrusion. (Probably not worth

fretting over... it's just a handle.)

I truly appreciate your very warm, personal welcomes.

--Richard

I am not sure where this post should go, so if JTT or someone else thinks it would be better served if moved elsewhere, please go right ahead.

I was thinking that a lot of weird, nasty, alienating, stuff was being posted on the site recently. A lot of hot emotions generated over the same problems men have been grappling with for a long time. I'm angry enough to feel like saying begone to anyone who calls this site "too gay" or "too straight". The suffering that this causes has to be stopped. And we all should be deliberately working to stop using these labels which create separateness and distance from each person on this site. Not to mention that we should all be deliberately working to stop using these labels to frighten and confuse our children about their emerging sexuality. I hear married guys here talk the difficulty they've experienced with lives lived in the shadow. Well, I would give an assignment to all such men - give your knowledge and wisdom and courage to the children so that they may be spared your suffering.

I just wrote to a married someone who posted that he reacts extremely negatively if a man makes a "move" on him, and how he doesn't understand "gays" desires at all. In the next breath he talks about how fulfilling he finds it to masturbate with another man, and how it represents a closeness and warmth between people. I would be presumptuous enough to suggest that this man's delusions are creating a lot of suffering for him. I wish I could say this clearly so he would understand. But I often stumble with words.

And, I believe that the state of marriage is irrelevant to the question of hetero or homo sexual orientation.

Most of the "gay" people in this country are "married". According to the US Census statistics 98 % of the population in this country live in households with a married spouse and a child. So one must wonder where are the generally accepted 10% gay population living?

So let's stop beating each other up over external and meaningless labels. And what about people who have decided to lead celibate lives. Are they gay, straight, or bi?

Men and women are culturally weighted with what is desirable in the shape of their breasts, penises, hips, testicles, hair, ears, etc. I think this site is excellent as a place to face these cultural, and sometimes familial, notions of who is good and who is bad, who is pretty and who is not pretty, who is a hung man and who is not a hung man, who is a stud or a babe and what values do we all surround ourselves with on these issues?

We are all one. We identify with this web site for a number of different personal needs. And yet we are all one with a common need. Let us be as one, and let us assist our neighbors here to shine with brilliance, and let us celebrate the gifts we are able to give to one another.

o.k., enough.

Except for one last thing: an awful lot of people on this site appear to have sex a lot.

I don't have any sex at all. I don't care if this embarrasses anybody - I'd like to talk about it and get some kind support in helping me not feel as much of an outsider within our group of people who indeed know what it's like to feel different, and to feel alone.

Jai

I've witnessed love and affection between folk here on this site, so when those feelings become muddled, let's all pitch in to resurrect them.

Hey, JTT. Well written statement! :applause:

Hey, engorge. Welcome and 'thanks' for your very eloquently stated post. :wave:

Hey, jai. Excellent points of interest. personally, I think this post would be best served if it were relocated to the thread: Married Men...Why Are You Here?  :thumbup:

Hey, Jtt. With all the recent discussion on girth, I was thinking that our slogan might better read:

discussing man's dimensions. thinking.gif:hugs: ...This would de-emphasize length, give equal insinuation regarding girth, and still invite anything else related to man to be entertained. Holler back whenever and let me know what you think. :hugs:  :rockon: ... Peace out******************************

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking we may need to do a poll to ask whether or not we should be using the ruler-cross as the "t" in our logo.

I had originally envisioned the ruler "t" becoming a sort-of secret code logo for us like-minded folk.

Perhaps I was wrong.

Should we make the ruler-cross "t" the same as the other lettering in our logo and try to come up with another symbol?

I'm open.

For the record, my personal stand on this issue is to keep it as it is.

Guest CharlieBear

Sean, in deference to you, I would vote, "Keep the cross." Surprised? No, it is just how highly I regard you and the fact that I know the logo is close to your heart.

Having said that, however, I also know how many people I have sent here who come back and say, "Is this a Christian site?" I am sure that combining the cross with a name like [color:"red"]mEaSURECTION [/color]leaves that impression with many. (No, that is not a typo--I was trying to accentuate how close to resurrection it is) To a few others, it appears to be mocking the Christian faith.

Unfortunately, that was my reaction when you first invited me here in the spring of 2001. You had to explain it to me, and still I was not convinced until the post Josh made from which the first post in this thread is taken. (I suggested to him that he make it a permanent part of our introduction. It was in response to just such a mix-up.)

I am sure than anyone in advertising would tell you that a logo that can be misunderstood and that has to be explained to avoid negative reactions is a poor logo. But this is not a commercial site.

The decision is yours. You are our "king." Long live the king!

I agree with Adrian. That would work real nice and in fact better. Use the "T" as a capital letter designed as rulers. Enlarge it more than the other letters. Actually all you would have to do is cut off the part of the ruler than extends above the upper horizontal part of the letter. thumbup.gif

Aloha Rick wave.gif,

I couldn't help but smile to myself as I read your post. Cutting off the part of the ruler that extends above the upper horizontal part of the letter... Does that mean that the height dimension is ... uh... diminished, i.e., "smaller in size"? LOL... I suppose it is appropriate then for this site...

Sorry, guess I am just punchy after working for more than 24 hours straight....

Love,

Jason