swimming

My son is a swimmer and for championship competitions he shaves down. It creates less drag and and by removing a layer of skin makes the water seem wetter (if that makes any sense) making the body move through the water faster (less resistence). Some of it is physical and some of it is mental.

For what it's worth, Ben, I think there is at least some truth in this. I still swim a lot, and I can feel the water "washing" the hair on my body. No question that causes drag. Does it matter to the average person? If they're in competition, maybe. I don't know. Remember, sometimes we're competing for hundredths of seconds.

thanks for the replys it is just something i heard guys say so for really no reason i just wanted to know if it was true. when i was in high school and i know a lot of guys wont believe this but the times in physical ed. or gym class on the days swimming occured the guys had to swim in the nude. it was not coed. in junior high it was if you forgot your swim suit.

I've heard that it was to cut down on drag. Same reason for wearing speedos or other formfitting swimwear. Ever try doing laps in baggy trunks?

In high school it was a hoot after a swim meet. The swimmers would come crowding into the showers sometimes at the same time we on the football team were sudsing up. With their more slender builds and their body hair all shaved, they looked like plucked chickens heading into a pack of bears. :roflmao: :roflsmilie:

Guess they had the last laugh, though. Probably just freak distribution, but the swim team was overall noticeably better hung. We had a lot of short stubbies; they had a lot of long skinnies :lol:

Edited by Guest

Yes, Z. you were part of that last line of kids that got to swim nude as a default. For the U.S. it ended in the first half of the 70's. Some places sooner than others. Other than out in the country on the Boys creek side, I missed it all.

As for the shaving, they're doing what they can to not lose by letting someone else get that edge over them. That's racing for you.

• 1 month later...