Your Dad's Penis

6 hours ago, canuck45 said:

So if it convinced you, then you thought he was inferior before going to the Y
.....Conformational bias.

Nope!  Quite the opposite and I tried to deny reality.

9 hours ago, new2day said:

That's just modern societal thinking, bigger is better. The ancients Greeks thought a large penis was vulgar, in some cultures it's a sign of vigour. There's an outline of a chalk man in Dorset called the Cerna Abbas Giant depicting a man with a club and a prominent erection.

White racists and slave owning men of the American South tried to maintain similar rationalization re: Black men perceived to be larger.  Greeks probably perceived "barbarian" large dicks with disdain also.

1 hour ago, lloydbaker said:

White racists and slave owning men of the American South tried to maintain similar rationalization re: Black men perceived to be larger.  Greeks probably perceived "barbarian" large dicks with disdain also.

Actually, no. The two are quite different.  Greeks maintained their disdain for large cocks regardless of the owner's identity. Regardless if you were Greek or otherwise, a large penis was just not something good to have. 

In contrast, the "rationalization" to which you're referring was actually part of an intentional vilification of Black men as hypersexual  savage animals and an integral part of racist propaganda. 

5 hours ago, Triasco9.5 said:

Actually, no. The two are quite different.  Greeks maintained their disdain for large cocks regardless of the owner's identity. Regardless if you were Greek or otherwise, a large penis was just not something good to have. 

In contrast, the "rationalization" to which you're referring was actually part of an intentional vilification of Black men as hypersexual  savage animals and an integral part of racist propaganda. 

You were in ancient Greece?  And know that?  Please.  Anyway, vilifying  Greeks who had characteristics of barbarians would be no surprise.

So?  Of course, rationalization was part of vilification and denigration of slaves!  In Greece they were vilifying their barbarian enemies.

Villifying hung whites as being like "n's" would make sense too. . .

Edited by Guest

@lloydbakerFunny enough, the same logic applies to your own assertions. None of us were in ancient Greece, so we can only draw our conclusions from research into what was left behind. 

From my studies as a sociology major with a concentration in psychology and a minor in diversity and inclusion studies, I've studied a bit in histories of sexuality, and found that evidence that suggests more that the Greeks saw large penises as part of the bodily reflection of the type of mind the owner possessed. They valued the ability to reason very highly, and a large penis was thought to be a sign of a mind prone to lust, one of many things to cloud judgement and logic. Conversely, there's quite a bit of documentation about how much of what early supporters of American slavery did to co-opt poor whites and to paint Black men as dangerous hypersexual savages. Interestingly enough, I haven't seen anything that suggests that whites with big cocks were vilified in a similar way.

Of course, we could have different sources from which we draw our conclusions. So I suppose what I will say is that I'd love to have this conversation over PM or in another thread so that we can stop derailing this one with off topic posts,  however fascinating this conversation may be. 

Not off topic at all.  My Dad's penis was a data point supporting my theory that ancient Greece was no exception to male size obsession and the rationalizations to overcome it.

My father demonized sexuality with "moralism" regardless of race, creed, or color to rationalize his lack of genital status.  My mother described to me some of his difficulties in bed as a result!  She was a loose cannon.

Similar to Greeks.  Proof?  No, there is no such thing as proof in science.  Just evidence that tends to support or contradict a theory.

Edited by Guest

I would go so far as to say it is off topic once you make the experience just a data point in an unrelated theory that now serves as the primary subject for your posts.

What convinces you that your father's penis size was his particular reason for his demonization of sexuality? Not that I doubt you as you would know better than I would, obviously, but I've seen plenty of men with small penises that have different or completely opposite views of sexuality because of (or irrespective of) their small penis size. 

14 hours ago, lloydbaker said:

No, there is no such thing as proof in science.  Just evidence that tends to support or contradict a theory.

"A watched pot never boils."

"I have boiled the same amount of water in this kettle sixty-two times. In some cases I have ignored the kettle; in others, I have watched it intently. In every instance, the water reaches its boiling point in precisely 51.7 seconds."
- Lt Cmdr Data, Timescape -

Oxford Dictionary:

• Proof (n): evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
  • Evidence (n): the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Edited by RodEnuf
Combined consecutive posts by same user both responding to same earlier post.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:23 AM, lloydbaker said:

Nudity establishes a genital hierarchy often in conflict with other measures of relative worth:  moral, intellectual, other body characteristics. . .

Well, the thread's kind of moved on beyond this comment, but I just had to say that I just never sensed any hierarchy or "competition" in the world of genitalia.  Sure there were those smaller than I, but not too many, and some bigger, but most of us (I'm thinking about my junior high and high school days) were actually quite similar in size.  So that may be why I never noticed it.  Is it all perception, perhaps, and perceived primarily by those at the extremes of the penis size?

And on the issue of black penises - interesting point about the concept of large black penises being a myth used to characterize black males as animalistic.  Never considered that.  But I will say that I shared a barracks room with a black guy from Saint Louis.  Same age as me, but about two or three inches taller, and more muscular.  I was the white guy from the SOCAL burbs, and Craig was not from the hood, but from a lower middle-class neighborhood.  I had what I saw to be an unremarkable penis.  Not big, by any means, but not tiny.  Often just a couple inches bobbing around over a tightened-up scrotum (the barracks weren't that warm).  But here's the thing - Craig's penis was virtually identical to mine, the color notwithstanding, of course.  It surprised me, actually, how similar we were.  Sure, I've seen much more hung black guys - but then the most hung boy I saw was in school in England - and this boy was more hung that almost anyone I've ever seen.  He was white and in his mid-teens.

I guess the bottom line is, for ME, size has never really been an issue - it had just not been at the forefront of my thought ever, until I got much older and realized that my penis wasn't as big as it used to be (testosterone thing, I believe).  But, even now, I don't let it bother me.  But I do have to wonder (getting back on topic) if my dad's penis (which was bigger than mine has ever been) got any smaller when he got older.  When I last saw his penis, he was in his late thirties.