Is "turtling" common?

smhutch78

I was wondering if anyone else experiences what I call "turtling", it's where the penis head retracts inward (when flaccid) and makes it look like you don't have a penis but just skin (again, when soft/flaccid/non-erect)?

My flaccid state is about an inch, but I get the turtle effect often, is this more common with smaller penis sizes?

I know that losing some weight (currently 214lbs on a 5'3" frame) may help, and I'm working on it (down 24lbs since April 2014), but didn't know if this was a common occurrence amongst us smaller men.

Yes, I have that problem, usually when cold or doing heavy work. Sometimes it is slightly painful like a tendon is pulling it in or something.

Needless-to-say, I try to extract it manually when in the locker room. 1" is bad enough to show in the locker room.

Edited by Guest

can i say that yes it is mine does that when im out in the cold so id say its common kind of like the balls mine get tight when cold i also would like to add that good job on losing weight. it is very hard to do for lots of people you should feel very proud i know i drifted off the subject but had to comment

It occurs for me even when it's not cold, and yes mine sometimes feels like a tendon is tight and it can hurt a bit at times when it "turtles" or retracts into itself.

By the way, I had this problem when I was young and VERY THIN with zero fat pad!

For a guy with this problem, it seems to me you are more of grower than would be expected!

Edited by Guest

Has happened to me on many occasions all my life, and I am rather thin. Cold really does it, or exertion of unusual degree out in the yard or whatever, swimming. Yeah, but anyway, you are not alone. btw,, "turtling" as in "Seinfeld?" love that show, and they did a bit on this, but could just be coincidence I guess. ? Later.

"turtling" when not cold, or when no exercise has been done is common amongst men who have a smaller flaccid penis size and are also overweight. It happens because the fat pad on the pubic mound surrounds the penis and leaves just the head or in your case just the skin visible.

Lose weight and it will improve. You know already that at 5'3" a weight of 220lbs + is quite a lot over where you should be. I'm 5'10" and two years ago I weighed 205lbs and although I didn't get this problem my doc said I was borderline obese!

Lose the weight and get your flaccid penis back, it's a win win!

I've had this all my life and so has my father. .. but not my brother nor my son. None of us is really overweight.

Ive never had any pain associated with this except for the occasional pubic hairs getting caught up in it. I've always assumed they took off too little foreskin when I was circumcised. But I guess that doesn't make sense because my erection looks totally circumcised.

My flaccid penis is quite small while my erection is about 5" - which works for me. My dad appears a bit bigger but I've never seen him erect. .. Thankfully. :)

Edited by Guest

Absolutely yes!

In my teens, I was normally a couple inches soft - the nub look. But the head was always exposed (I am cut). But now that I'm older and heavier - I turtle a lot!

I first noticed it after a very long cold motorcycle ride. Got home, pealed off my clothes and I found this little nub that looked exactly like a natural penis - the head was completely retracted! I get it fairly regularly, too, if I've been really active. When I stop and get undressed, there's the little "uncut" stub!

But I agree - if I lost weight I'm sure it would be a much rarer occurrence.

Turtling happens to me too. Like the others, usually during and after exercise or physical work or cold. But it has also happened when just sitting around reading. I would say it happens at least several times a week on average. I'm about 140 pounds so it is not a weight issue with me.

Lose weight and it will improve.

True turtling really has little to do with the fat pad. Sure, if your penis is shorter than the fat pad, the visual result is the same. However, I've had turtling occasionally all my life and I was skinny as a rail with practically no fat pad until I was about 24 or so.

It seems to have something to do with the suspension tendon pulling for some reason in combination with have a small "empty" flaccid penins. By empty, I mean nearly totally devoid of blood. . . zero engorgement so it's just a flap of skin and inner tissue.

Looking at other guys in the shower, it seems the vast majority are always partially engorged, never completely empty. . . . or maybe they just find the nude shower a little stimulating?? So, I never see them utterly "empty flaccid" like I get?

By the way, occasionally I get an engorged flaccid myself, only a bit smaller than my erection. But that is rare. Seems never to happen in the locker room!

Edited by Guest

Thank you for all the conversation. Yes, I am currently losing weight, but it appears from the comments that this isn't necessarily an issue for causing the turtle effect. It would be nice to have an "outwardly standing" flaccid penis, but it appears men with smaller equipment tend to have the turtle effect regardless of weight.

Losing weight helps but it might not go away permanently. I read on another forum that flaccid hang is affected by dehydration. I don't know the science, but drinking plenty of h2o can't hurt. Also, over consumption of caffeine supposedly constricts the flaccid hang. Not sure if this actually is significant.

It's definitely nice not to worry about retracting in front of another person. I can tell my gf doesn't know what to think if she sees me walking around the house retracted. Little penis looks much less strange than no penis.

Interesting to call it the 'empty penis'. But I absolutely know what you mean. When I work out or it is cold (and blood is shunted away from extremities) my penis turns into a mere penis-head. Happens when I'm stressed also - like being naked in the doctor's office or gym showers. At the end of the day or if I am very warm and not exerting myself, I have a less micro sized penis. On rare rare occasion I will actually have what I consider to be a normal sized flaccid penis. I always thought it had something to do with my blood flow or number of capillaries I have.

Looking at other guys in the shower, it seems the vast majority are always partially engorged, never completely empty. . . . or maybe they just find the nude shower a little stimulating?? So, I never see them utterly "empty flaccid" like I get?

I've noticed at the gym that many guys reach down (either before or right after they remove their underwear) and fluff it a bit so it looks a little bigger. (Male insecurity)

I first heard the term, turtling, from some Youtube videos. For a handful of years on Youtube there were videos of a Canadian family who held an annual "turtling" contest the day after Christmas. All the men in the family, cousins and friends went into the bathroom to measure their flaccid state, and then they go out to the backyard and jump in the ice-cold water and re-measure. Whoever shrunk the most won.

. . . on Youtube there were videos of a Canadian family who held an annual "turtling" contest the day after Christmas.

Hey Liao!

I've always wondered why the Canadians have an extra holiday the day after Christmas.

Now, we know! :smirk:

Actually, to tell the truth, it sounds more like a custom that may have been carried over from Finland.

Rick

and fluff it a bit so it looks a little bigger. (Male insecurity)

Yes, of course. But fluffing is far far more effective with most guys in the locker room given that they start much larger than me. Often, unless I fluff, guys might think I'm in the wrong locker room.

Yes, I must admit to having studied their behavior closely, but as covertly as possible. Typically, they fluff from 3 to 4, not 0 to 1.5.

Edited by Guest