Is "turtling" common?

smhutch78

Interesting to call it the 'empty penis'. But I absolutely know what you mean. When I work out or it is cold (and blood is shunted away from extremities) my penis turns into a mere penis-head. Happens when I'm stressed also - like being naked in the doctor's office or gym showers. At the end of the day or if I am very warm and not exerting myself, I have a less micro sized penis. On rare rare occasion I will actually have what I consider to be a normal sized flaccid penis. I always thought it had something to do with my blood flow or number of capillaries I have.

Sounds familiar!

I turtle up quite often. I am getting ready to go run 6 miles in 50 degree temps and rain and I am wearing a tight jock. Barely anything sticking out. No pain, but definitely uncomfortable.

This is the bodies way of protecting itself from injury and heat loss. My nuts are up tight to my body if not inside.

Being like this afterwards and going to open showers makes it very embarrassing. I am usually the smallest guy soft in the locker room.

I am pretty tall and thin and it still happens to me. My guess would be that losing weight would minimize the affect on you, but maybe not much. Look at it this way, at least you will be healthier.

I'm right there with you! I've turtled all my life, skinny or fat, it makes no big difference. When i'm soft, i'm retracted unless I "fluff". I have always hated it. Stress just makes it worse, so of course when i'm naked in locker room or doctor, no amount of fluffing keeps me out for long. My urologist has to go hunting for my dick every time. I asked him one time if I was considered a micropenis but he said it wasn't. Made me feel a little better. Thanks for posting this, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I definitely turtle more now that I've gained weight. I'm currently 5'11 and 245lbs. When I was about 205 i "hung" a little less than 2 inches (cock head and a little shaft). Now I'm turtling all the time, from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I guess I would attribute this to my weight gain. I don't really mind it. Even when not turtling I was one of the smallest if not the smallest guy in the room.

I can't remember a time in my life when I actually hung down. I'm usually an inch soft when NOT turtling, just the little head poking straight out. And it is often retracted/turtled even when it's not cold out. Really embarrassing, and when I do have to be naked in front of others, or shower, I always tug on it and get a semi in order to at least have it look halfway normal.

The turtling is indeed because of my weight, I'm sure, but even when i was thin, in school, my little thing just poked straight out.

• 4 years later...

"So, what's the Finnish connection?"

The part about rushing outside and jumping into the ice-cold lake. That, and the fact that a lot of Finnish people live in western Ontario and northern Manitoba, areas with an abundance of lakes.

In Finland, as a grand finale, at the end of the steam-room portion of a sauna, they open the door to the steam-room, and rush down the outside walkway, naked, as fast as they can, and leap into the nearby frigid lake.

Rick

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/5/2014 at 2:14 PM, smhutch78 said:

I was wondering if anyone else experiences what I call "turtling", it's where the penis head retracts inward (when flaccid) and makes it look like you don't have a penis but just skin (again, when soft/flaccid/non-erect)?

I call it the same thing!    On cold days or after exercise everything disappears inside.   But I have a theory it does disappears inside my body for EXACTLY the same reason as a turtle going into it's shell -- to protect us when faced with an enemy!  Evolution would select against longer schlongs that would get bitten off in a fight.

Edited by RodEnuf
Moved reply text outside of quote box.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2014 at 4:57 PM, Not really my name said:

I became extremely overweight. Sometimes, when I was around my heaviest, I feared my penis might disappear into me at times - when sitting down in a certain way, for instance. 

Exactly my case. When I was overweight it dissapeared frequenly, specially when sitting down. It was quite unconfortable to feel it getting inside. 

Nowadays that I am on my ideal weight (more or less), it just turtles after exercise and in cold water. In those cases the shaft almost dissapears and only the head is showing. 

Getting the Turtle is common at this time of year with the cold weather.
But for me it's a 50% thing.

Sometimes I get the Turtle, other times the Acorn.

Have always tried to make sense of what causes one vs the other.
Can't seem to related either temperature or weather, but they seem involved.

Mrs thinks rainy weather brings out the Turtle, but only partially agree.

Maybe it's how things cool off.
Slowly for the Turtle & a sudden change for the Acorn.

3 Different States, https://imgur.com/a/82M9Mhb

I remember the first time mine turtle back in my very early 20's.  Was camping and it was really cold.  Woke up and was like WTF where is my dick.  It turtle tightly and was painful to get back out.  From that point on, it has been a daily/hourly problem.  Seems more likely to do it from waking up to mid evening.  Mid to late evening, it seems to not do it, so not sure why.  I hate it.

I have a skinny build and I am circumcised. Mine sometimes turtles, especially when it’s a bit chilly and my testicles draw up really tight. Sometimes when I sit down naked on a hard bottomed chair my thing will retract until only a small portion of my glans is visible. Then all I have to do is push on my glans just a little bit more with my finger and my thing will just sort of pop back inside and I will completely retract. Then I can push a little more and tuck it completely in. Often it will stay tucked away until I pop it back out. I once did that and got dressed. I completely forgot about it and went shopping. After a few hours I needed to pee so I went into a stall. When I dropped my jeans and underpants I realized  that I was still completely tucked away. I decided to go ahead and pee without popping it back out. I liked the sensation. I finished peeing and dabbed myself dry. I could then feel my thing growing and wanting to get hard but it still wouldn’t pop back out. Then I really felt like I wanted to masturbate, lol....but I waited until I got home. Crazy huh?

Everyday my normal flaccid penis size is turtle'd.  It can't help but turtle with my small size tucked away in my undies is 1.00" through out the day.  My penis has turtle'd everyday for as far back as I can remember.  For decades I would tuck the head in after showering to keep the much longer pubic hair from rolling up in it as it turtle'd itself.  It will stay turtle'd until it has had a reason to grow beyond two inches in length.  Funny thing for years I did my best to keep my turtle-ling penis hidden from my wife's eyes for my embarrassment or potential comments.  Until we eventually had a detailed conversation about my penis size.  Now she knows my flaccid size is very small and I happily display my turtle'd penis for her to see everyday.

• 1 month later...

@smhutch78

Yes, I started "turtling" when I was in my early twenties and it only got worse over the years, in spite of a normal body mass index.

Since my thirties, I have had an almost permanently retracted flaccid penis (an "innie" dick).

At first, I was horrified by this awful sight, but over the time, I came to accept it, and showing it on the Internet definitely helped me a lot to do so.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, littledick724 said:

@smhutch78

Yes, I started "turtling" when I was in my early twenties and it only got worse over the years, in spite of a normal body mass index. Since my thirties, I have had an almost permanently retracted flaccid penis (an "innie" dick). At first, I was horrified by this awful sight, but over the time, I came to accept it, and showing it on the Internet definitely helped me a lot to do so.

I have had difficulty showing a photo of my own turtle. Just looks so weird.