Scientists create penises in laboratory

Riftalope

Scientists create penises in laboratory

Scientists have successfully grown penises in a laboratory which will soon be ready-to-test on men suffering congenital abnormalities, or those who have suffered trauma.

Researchers at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine in North Carolina have now begun assessing the appendages for durability and hope to roll-out testing on humans in the next five years.

The penises will be grown using a patient's own cells to avoid the high risk of rejection, The Guardian reports.

Those cells will be grown in culture for four to six weeks before it is moulded into shape using a donor penis.

The donor penis is washed in a mild detergent to remove all donor cells. After two weeks a collagen scaffold of the penis is left, on to which the patient's cultured cells are placed.

"Our target is to get the organs into patients with injuries or congenital abnormalities," said Professor Anthony Atala, the director of the institute carrying out the research.

The advancement will also provide renewed hope and more recovery options for men who have suffered penile cancer and traumatic injuries.

© ninemsn 2014

Read more at Australia's 9News

I presume that this will merely be an appendage rather than fully functioning. The nerves that trigger an erection wouldn't be present, nor those in the head of the penis (I'm guessing) that are responsible for stimulation and the resulting signals to ejaculate?

Without the details it's hard to know as to the level of function this penis would have. The article could have given a link so the science behind this could be understood and appreciated.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting slice of news, and, I'm sure it will give hope to men who have had penile amputation for whatever reason and those who've suffered life changing penile trauma.

I presume that this will merely be an appendage rather than fully functioning. The nerves that trigger an erection wouldn't be present, nor those in the head of the penis (I'm guessing) that are responsible for stimulation and the resulting signals to ejaculate?

Same guy. A bunch of rabbits managed to procreate successfully.

Fixed the link; it didn't work.

They are doing experiments to print human organs via 3D Printing....I guess its logical for them to one day be able to print a customized penis.

They are now doing 3D Printing directly on a traumatized / wounded area of the body to accelerate the healing process and replace torn and dead tissue.