How to Measure? What's the standard here?

If you're measuring your erect penis bone pressed along the top from pubic bone to tip of the glans (not the foreskin), then you're finding yourself to be significantly longer than average. That is, you have a very big dick.

The reliable studies have each resulted in an average between 5.1 and 5.5 inches.

Alan G

How I got the 8-9 inches was going along the side of my penis, and at the base, pressing into the bone. But my penis curves left very hard, so if you straightened my dick I'd get an extra inch or so probably

Wait so if I curve left, I should buy a tailor measurement tape to go along my curve? I have been using a measuring tape, like a construction one. I curve a ton to the left, which I'm suck hurts my measurement.

If you cut a piece of string 6" long and place it on a flat surface, then curve it so that when measured end to end it's measurement is now 5". How long is the piece of string? It is of course 6" because you measure along the curve, it's the same rule for measuring the penis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

How confident are you that you measure and get the correct size? 

I usually measure while lying on my back. I can’t see to measure over my massive belly.. So I take a ruler and press it in. I use my fingers to mark where my penis ends. 

Today I had an erection and used my phone - iPhone X. And I was just a finger short of the phone length. 

So so how do you measure?

• RodEnuf changed the title to How to Measure? What's the standard here?
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Old thread I know, but I'm new here, so hopefully I will get some feedback. I'm pretty clear on the length part of it. I'm pretty consistently 5.75-6.25" when I'm fully hard, fat pressed. Goofy thing is when I'm soft, sometimes all that is exposed is my head. Is it normal to "grow" this much? The part where I'm a little unclear is circumference. My whole shaft is consistently only 4.5"sad face, always within 1/4", always. When I have a good erection, especially if I'm wearing a cock ring, my head measures 6-6.25" Smily face. I typically consider this to be my girth since this is what my wife feels when I'm thrusting inside of her, especially near her opening (right when I enter her pussy), and when I'm in by her cervix. Is this what I should be claiming, or should it be the 4.5"? This also makes it a little difficult for her to give me a blow job as she sometimes has a tough time getting my head in her mouth. Another point I'd like to make is even though I am evidently slightly larger than average it doesn't appear that way as I am 6'4" and 320#. Sorry for the long post, I just have a lot of questions!

@AverageC  There are growers and there are showers.  A shower shows nearly his maximum length when he's flaccid, simply getting firm when he becomes erect.  A grower shows only a fraction of his erect length when he's flaccid.  There are guys whose erect length is 600% to 650% of their soft length.  300% to 350% is not uncommon at all.  But so far as I know, the ratio of erect to flaccid length does not follow any sort of standard statistical distribution.  So it is meaningless to talk about average or median or normal growth from flaccid to erect length.

All this just reinforces that you can't know anything about how long a guy's hard dick will be by seeing him soft.

Finally, with regards to your question about measuring girth.  Medical studies of erect size use the position of greatest girth, so for you that will be at the corona -- the rim of the glans.

Alan G

@AverageC Personally I think a penis where the glans is considerably wider than the shaft looks awesome and to me is a desirable trait, you're a lucky guy. I have a good friend who has a penis with very similar dimensions and it's a massive turn on for me. His girlfriend and past girlfriends have all said how good it feels during sex and I've certainly heard the noises after house parties have ended!

His only negative view is his staying power is quite short as he finds intercourse incredibly stimulating on his glans. On many occasions we've pleasured each other as "buddies" and I'm incredibly envious of his penis even though we are literally the same length, my shaft is visibly thicker but his cock head is just "WOW"! Sucking his penis is hard on the aching jaw muscles though due to its massive flared head! 

As to your questions, take your girth as the measurement around the corona of your glans, it's the widest part of your penis, it's a usable part of your penis as far as penetration goes and lastly, why wouldn't you! No point in declaring shaft girth when you're far wider at the head. 

Clearly you are an extreme grower, you are in a rare group of men where the size increase can be several hundred percent. Whilst a small flaccid size causes nudity anxieties for many guys, especially public nudity, take comfort from the erect size you can achieve! 

Lastly, your height when looking down at your penis will simply exacerbate the optical illusion created when looking down at your penis and even in a mirror your penis will look shorter than it is. You need to look beyond this illusion and try not to make comparisons with others in this way. 

So whilst you have a below average flaccid size, you are more than fine in  other respects, your erection growth RATE is huge, rare but perfectly normal, your erect length is high average to above average, your shaft is an everage girth anyway and then your real plus point..... That HEAD!! 

Just enjoy what you've got. 

@Red Scott  Comments much appreciated. I do enjoy it very much most every night, especially since I went back on the testosterone injections! This has also seemed to increase my flaccid size quite a bit. I now typically hang somewhere close to 4" I'd guess. It certainly can still get shorter when very cold etc. I have never been terribly concerned about my flaccid size, I am typically only naked around my wife and she obviously knows what it turns into. It used to concern me some because my wife never cums during sex, I have to get her off with her clit. I was always concerned that it was due to my cock not being thick enough, even though she has never came with anyone else fucking her either. A while ago I had an affair and the lady I was with then would cum intensly anywhere from 3 to 8 times while we had sex. It was a big confidence booster!! Back with the wife now and she still doesn't cum, but I know now it's not because of my cock! Thanks again for the comments!

Edited by RodEnuf
Removed 100% quote of immediately preceding post.

@AverageC Somewhere in the order of 60% of women will never achieve an orgasm through penetration alone during their entire lives! It has nothing to do with the girth of your penis because at its head your girth is extremely thick and easily enough for a woman to achieve an orgasm through penetration, if it were that simple. 

There's two places on a woman that when stimulated through intercourse can bring her to orgasm. The obvious one is the clitoris and this is stimulated when both of your pubic mounds "grind" together, this doesn't require a specific girth nor length of penis.

Then there's the G-spot, located 2 - 3 inches inside on the front wall of the vagina (belly up basically) and this can be stimulated by fingers or the penis. It simply requires your penis to be angled towards her belly when thrusting (if that makes sense) To bring a woman to orgasm this way requires no specific girth neither but does require at least 2" - 3" of your penis to penetrate her. So you've no physical reason preventing her from orgasm through penetration. 

All women differ in what does it for them and good communication is required from the both of you. Your wife will likely have no physical reason preventing her from reaching orgasm through penetration, but like I said a lot of women never experience this. It's a lot about relaxing more for her, some women whilst really enjoying sex, tense up when getting close to orgasm and this on its own can prevent the final event, it could be your technique that's not stimulating either point for long enough. 

Talk to each other during sex, enjoy trying as many different positions as you can. Find positions and methods that give her the best thrills and work from there. 

Don't forget yourself though, its equally important that things are giving you the right thrills too in order for you to maintain as much erection firmness as possible. 

Just enjoy experimenting and forget about trying too hard for her to get there, then it will happen naturally for her. 

Edited by Red Scott

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 2:12 AM, RodEnuf said:

@AverageC  There are growers and there are showers.  A shower shows nearly his maximum length when he's flaccid, simply getting firm when he becomes erect.  A grower shows only a fraction of his erect length when he's flaccid.  There are guys whose erect length is 600% to 650% of their soft length.  300% to 350% is not uncommon at all.  But so far as I know, the ratio of erect to flaccid length does not follow any sort of standard statistical distribution.  So it is meaningless to talk about average or median or normal growth from flaccid to erect length.

All this just reinforces that you can't know anything about how long a guy's hard dick will be by seeing him soft.

About 5 years ago I stayed at Camp David near Inverness Florida,  My first time there (and only)  A couple of fellows from Canada, sort of took me under their wing, so to speak.  Both of these guys had what is commonly referred to as "innies".  One could barely see the tip of their cockheads hiding away, deep in the nether region.  Later that day I was hiking a trail through  the woods/jungle that leads around small "lake", or large pond, depending on ones perspective.  I came upon a picnic table where one of Canadian fellows was relaxing  while some guy was sucking his cock. I remember asking him if he minded me watching, to which he said , "not at all".   Long story short,  his erect cock was at least 6" long and I'm guessing, but I would say it was 6" in girth as well!  Certainly thicker than my own cock. One hell of a grower!  He had ginger pubes by the way, I think that's worth mentioning, because so many of us find them to be so extraordinarily beautiful.

• 7 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 3:12 PM, In part, Red Scott said:

@AverageC Somewhere in the order of 60% of women will never achieve an orgasm through penetration alone during their entire lives! It has nothing to do with the girth of your penis because at its head your girth is extremely thick and easily enough for a woman to achieve an orgasm through penetration, if it were that simple. 

There's two places on a woman that when stimulated through intercourse can bring her to orgasm. The obvious one is the clitoris and this is stimulated when both of your pubic mounds "grind" together, this doesn't require a specific girth nor length of penis.

Then there's the G-spot, located 2 - 3 inches inside on the front wall of the vagina (belly up basically) and this can be stimulated by fingers or the penis. It simply requires your penis to be angled towards her belly when thrusting (if that makes sense) To bring a woman to orgasm this way requires no specific girth neither but does require at least 2" - 3" of your penis to penetrate her. So you've no physical reason preventing her from orgasm through penetration.  [...]

Whilst being a new comer and not wishing to contradict a long standing member (no pun intended)  I have to take issue with the two underlined items above, not to contradict but hopefully to add to. My comments are meant to be general and are in no way aimed at or meant to concern @AverageC

1) there are three places a woman can be stimulated to orgasm through intercourse, the third being the posterior fornix .... orgasm for here can be very intense, one female writer described it as "The Queen of Orgasms" also the shaft will be rubbing against the cervix which can add extra excitement but the cervix must not be banged; some women do like it being gently pushed against.

2) the clitoris can also be stimulated by the base of the cock, when 'riding high', think its called the coital lineament position, girth can help with this.

3) G-spot orgasm ....... All my partners have told me that the girth of my head's rim, which is larger than the shaft behind, for at least 3.5", gives much more sensations than a shaft rubbing against their G-spot because it is 'more concentrated' ...... only problem is that it can also be very exciting to me, needing plenty of control.

I have always found the (supposed) standard way of measuring can give false dimensions.

I have a slight upward curve - if I measure, BP, from base to tip, with a ruler I get a totally different measurement than I do using a tailors tape or string along the curve.

Why is it that you are always suppose to take the top measurement, using BP? If I go 'balls deep', my balls pressed against her Ahole then all my cock is in .... and my under measurement along the curve, balls pressed, is more than my top measurement along the curve.

The other measurement that can cause confusion is girth - all cocks are not the same girth along their length ..... I've been told that in cases like this then the average should be used but if the average is 6" then there is volumetrically, a big difference, that can be felt by a partner, if the base has more girth than this.

My cock is straight, so I've used a rule to measure along the top surface, I don't do the "bone pressed" thing. Girth is measured mid-shaft using a tape measure wrapped around. I am thicker at the base and around the glans/corona.

Edited by new2day

On 10/12/2019 at 6:18 PM, new2day said:

My cock is straight, so I've used a rule to measure along the top surface, I don't do the "bone pressed" thing. Girth is measured mid-shaft using a tape measure wrapped around. I am thicker at the base and around the glans/corona.

My cock is straight too, which is odd considering my sexual preferences.  Major respect to you new2day not taking advantage of the bone pressed boost.  I can't afford to give up any extra numbers.  But reading your bio, you are quite nicely packaged already.  And welcome to the site.

Mikey

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2007 at 1:16 PM, Mr. Average said:

Hey guys, that first post and the link is telling you how to measure a FLACCID penis, FYI. The video is good. Here is a diagram and write-up off the Fleshlight website....

When erect, the average penis length is approximately 5-6 inches with an average girth (circumference) of approximately 4-5 inches. Refer to the illustration on the left for an explanation of measuring length and girth. Use of a measuring tape is suggested for taking measurements.

Actually use a ruler cause if length is for putting it in pussy,the fat pad gets pushed flat while fuckin so u might see 5 in but a little push the pussy gets 7

Edited by Guest
Photo removed

• 2 years later...