Did you grow during puberty?

small009

I don’t seem to be as bothered about being small anymore, but it still upsets me that I didn’t really go through puberty. I wish I had experienced the: trying to hide random erections, the awkwardness of teens. I always hear guys talk about when they hit puberty and when they noticed their penis and balls get bigger, that wasn’t the case for me I don’t recall any point in my life where I can say, “hey, my penis is getting bigger.” Do any of you feel you were robbed of certain experiences that come from “growing up”?

Edited by small009

I remember in gym class we had to change in the locker room and a few guys in middle school had lots of pubic hair. I didn't get any until maybe 8th grade. And some were hung (at least it seemed like it compared to me). By high school, most had developed a full bush and well on their way to a normal or larger than normal penis. Before I got my tattoos and piercings, some of my nudist friends used to ask me when I was going to go through puberty! I was still little and smooth. lol.

Here's a couple pre tattoo pics.

https://imgur.com/NVQpPXw

https://imgur.com/6ZPnNRJ

3 hours ago, small009 said:

I don’t seem to be as bothered about being small anymore, but it still upsets me that I didn’t really go through puberty. I wish I had experienced the: trying to hide random erections, the awkwardness of teens. I always hear guys talk about when they hit puberty and when they noticed their penis and balls get bigger, that wasn’t the case for me I don’t recall any point in my life where I can say, “hey, my penis is getting bigger.” Do any of you feel you were robbed of certain experiences that come from “growing up”?

Me too!  Exactly!

No sign of hair until summer after 9th grade when I got a little fuzz around my genitals.  After that changes were glacial until I was 25 and got a sprinklng of chest hair.  No voice change either.  I think I got up to 4" prior to that summer after 9th grade or maybe the year after.  Extra 1/2" and some thickness took a very long time after that.

Edited by Guest

TBH, I don't remember that "ah ha" moment when I realized my genitals were growing.  I believe the change was slow enough not to be noticeable.  My first few sprouts of pubic hair, though, I most definitely remember.  They came, seemingly, from nowhere.  One day when I was about 12, I realized there were these six or seven silky soft blonde pubic hairs just above the top of my penis.  I hadn't noticed them until - "ta daaa" - there they were (perhaps because my hair was darker but my first pubic hair was very light and hardly visible).  At any rate, I do remember being fascinated with this change, but I couldn't tell you when my penis started growing (must have been about the same time) or when I got hair under my arms or on my legs.

But, like @overthehill, I remember getting a "sprinkling of chest hair" in my early twenties.  So, I remember the "discoveries" of my pubic and chest hair, but the rest... well, it just happened while I wasn't looking!

To answer @small009's question, though ("Do any of you feel you were robbed of certain experiences that come from 'growing up'?"), I do look back now and feel like I was "robbed" of the experience of "sharing" my puberty with others.  Of course, all my classmates (boys, anyway) saw me naked and vice versa, but the "experimenting" that pubescent boys so often share is something I never really did, other than two or three very brief incidents (the first involuntarily, the others voluntarily).  But those "opportunities not exploited" were more a result of my decisions, which I can now look back upon and question.  Hence the screen-name, Curious Now.

@CuriousNow You talk about your blond pubic hair. When I finally got a "full bush" my pubic hair was bright ginger even though my hair was brown. Several years later I did a semi-nude modeling job called Ginger Boys.

Here's a couple pics.

https://imgur.com/WAbVy5X

https://imgur.com/16L5sa2

@Restoredude Wow - that's pretty remarkable.  The only "ginger" pubes I ever saw were on "ginger" guys (sadly, I've never seen a ginger girl's pubes, but that's another sad story).  But, yes, I think that's interesting.

When I was a young boy in California, although I had mostly brown hair, in the summer my brothers and I all had our hair cut really short (hey, it was the fifties and early sixties).  And because I was outdoors running around in the sun all the time, my hair appeared to be blond.  But as I got a bit older (and we left California) my hair "settled" on brown.  So when I discovered those blond pubes, I was very surprised.  I SURE wasn't running around naked outside (I was painfully shy back then) so I really didn't understand how I could have different colored pubic hair.  But, as I recall, once I started to develop that little boy bush above my penis, it became darker - eventually darker than the hair on my head.

Are you still GP'd? (Ginger-Pubed?)

@CuriousNow Yes, I'm still Ginger-Pubed when I'm not smooth. A while back, I let them grow for about 6 months. That was the first time in 20 years I had any kind of a bush. I am a nudist and in the sun a lot so maybe that helps lighten the color.

Here's a pic:

https://imgur.com/Ut1NDbx

When it comes to ginger pubes I embrace my hair colour today but in youth I hated having ginger hair and pubes. It seems to me there's two differing opinions on ginger pubes, I find the majority of women see them as undesirable, but amongst gay and bi men ginger pubes are a desirable trait. I personally would love an encounter with a fellow ginger so I often wondered why some see it as a game changer, it's just a colour! 

Back to the original topic of growth, I grew rapidly quite early so I knew I'd grown in early puberty, but as others caught up and my body frame got broader I began to think growth had stopped early. At a certain point, around 15 I guess, I could see that certainly my flaccid size seemed smaller than others so from there I thought that I was small in comparison. As I properly filled out by my early 20's and my hands got to the size they are today this seemed to exacerbate my issues with my flaccid size. This then seemed to manifest itself to my erect size too. 

42 minutes ago, Restoredude said:

I am a nudist and in the sun a lot so maybe that helps lighten the color.

Oh, absolutely - I'm sure that being out in the sun lightens hair.  It did so with the hair on my head as a boy.  I don't get enough time outside naked now to see if it'd do the same for my pubes.  Sigh... they'll probably be totally grey before I can get out and try to bleach them in the sun!

I remember during 7th grade starting to be concerned I was no longer tall compared to a lot of guys.  Then, the class went on a special outing to swim in the High School pool.  We were required to shower nude in gang showers and then be inspected for cleanliness before we could enter the pool.

Standing by a locker with a hairless tiny flaccid, I saw a guy I had grown-up with flop out a huge penis surrounded by hair.  I had seen his penis while he urinated in the woods a few years before.  It was bigger that my flaccid, but not surprising in any way.  I was only marginally concerned as a kid that my flaccid seemed smaller than everyone elses'.

I was stunned and couldn't take my eyes off it.  He said nothing, but was all smiles and chuckles.   I further embarassed myself that day when I got a tiny erection in the gang showers, perhaps because nearly all the guys had genital hair and hanging penii of various lengths.  I didn't really know what erections were all about (though I had played with mine for years) and didn't understand  what some guys were laughing and wispering about.  I still was a bit erect when inspected and couldn't get rid of the erection at first in the pool.

We had to wear tank suits which clearly showed the genitals of the maturing guys when wet and join the girls in the pool!  A lot of the guys made a point of showing off on the diving board, etc.  They didn't know how to dive.  I stayed in the pool even though I was a good diver, having learned at a neighbor's outdoor pool,  and snuck back to the locker room as soon as it was allowed!

I didn't start to recover mentally until I started drinking as a college Jr.  Yes, I felt robbed as no dramatic puberty ever occured.  Only very gradually did I develop approximately normal under-sized gentials.  Seemed to happen overnight with most other guys.

Edited by Guest

I didn’t start getting any pubichair or underarm hair until a few months prior to my turning 16. I was only able to have dry orgasms until then also. By contrast my friend starting getting pubichair and started squirtting semen when he ejaculated almost immediately after he turned 12. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 6:16 AM, overthehill said:

[ . . . ]

I didn't start to recover mentally until I started drinking as a college Jr.  Yes, I felt robbed as no dramatic puberty ever occured.  Only very gradually did I develop approximately normal under-sized gentials.  Seemed to happen overnight with most other guys.

I think it may have also been a delayed puberty thing to some extent. Though i never really went any where as far as length so i guess my pre pubesent length was just my fate also. 

@overthehill When it comes to puberty I don't think there's such a thing as "normal" with the exception of an age range of onset. Puberty shows physical signs in so many different ways and with very differing time lines amongst boys. 

Some boys begin with penile growth, some with muscular growth, some with underarm hair, some with pubic hair. Some have a short and rapid puberty, some with a slow and lengthy puberty some with a slow and short puberty. 

It's worth remembering that there's three phases to puberty. The first phase is where the pituitary gland signals hormonal changes to occur and very little physical signs of development are shown. The testes begin to enlarge, where there's a foreskin present the adherence to the glans releases and slight muscular changes are usually the only signs. Phase one happens between the age of 10-13 years old and takes around two years. 

Phase two is where things really get going. The penis grows, as do the testes, muscle size and tone increases, the voice breaks, pubic and coarse body hair appears, height increases and changes to facial appearance to name but a few. This phase is usually between the ages of 11-15 years old. 

Phase three is more of a maturation period, a kind of wind down. The body grows in height and breadth to its genetic blueprint, as do the genitals, the testicles reach full maturity, hormones become more stable, growth of facial hair and body hair accelerates and the pituitary gland begins to shut down. This last phase begins between the ages of 15-18 years old and ends with completion between 21-25 years old. 

As and when phase one begins largely dictates the speed and ages that the final two phases begin. Obviously a boy who doesn't start phase two (where the obvious changes occur) until 15-16 is going to have a shorter "visible" puberty overall as phase one was either delayed or very slow. 

Nothing in puberty can be described as normal except the expected age ranges of onset. 

Yeah "normal" range of characteristic arbitrary, just like normal range of size?  Some are off the chart like mine.  No doubt many characteristics less that 5% of total population.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I've the same hard penis size since 14 so it grew a bit between 12 and 14. Soft it doesn't changed, its the same as before puberty, maybe a bit thicker. Most significant change was getting pubes for me too, at 12 got the first few dark hairs around my penis and at 14 i had a big bush, at 13 got underarm hairs too. My height stopped at 15.

26 minutes ago, hunboy said:

at 13 got underarm hairs too. 

I had forgotten the underarm hair issue.  As a Jr. in High School, I still had only slight fuzz under my arms .  I was on the Varsity basketball team and recall not being able to stop thinking about how my slow puberty was so evident to one and all when I raised my arms to shoot the basketball.  When I became a Sr. that issue, at least, had faded away.

Edited by Guest