Penis extension procedure doesn't work

wuerstchen

An article in the Guardian. Learn to love what you have!

Penis extension doesn't work, study finds
Procedure carries high risk of complications ‘and should almost never be carried out’

Procedures to make penises larger do not work, are “ineffective and risky” and leave many men physically or psychologically scarred, research reveals, with an expert saying they should almost never be carried out and saying that men were being exploited by “charlatans”.

There is “scant” evidence that the range of procedures men undergo in a bid to enlarge their penis actually produce that result, according to a review by British experts.

The treatments carry a high risk of complications, including permanent numbness, a review of the available evidence concluded. And most men who undergo penile extension are dissatisfied with the results afterwards.

“[The review] found overall treatment outcomes were poor, with low satisfaction rates and significant risk of major complications, including penile deformity, shortening, and erectile dysfunction,” the authors said.

The findings are outlined in a new paper in the Sexual Medicine Reviews journal reporting an analysis by Gordon Muir, a urologist at King’s College hospital in London, and researchers at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College London.

“These procedures should almost never be done,” said Muir. “They can cost up to £30,000 or even £40,000, often the man ends up with a penis that is disfigured and there is no more than 20% satisfaction rates with these procedures.”

The researchers reviewed 17 previous studies which assessed 21 different types of procedure, both surgical and non-surgical, performed on 1,192 men, in Britain and abroad.

The two commonest involve injections of dermal fillers into the penis and an operation called suspensory ligament incision, in which the surgeon makes a cut above the penis and divides the ligament that anchors it.

“The vast majority of men who may wish to have their penis made longer have a penis of completely normal length, but they often feel that their penis is too small,” said Muir.

Most such procedures are carried out by private health providers. The NHS only does them for clinical rather than cosmetic reasons, such as repairing a body affected by trauma.

Muir hit out at “the bunch of charlatans out there preying on these vulnerable men” by offering them procedures that are usually of no value.

“Many men who wish to undergo penis enlargement procedures have an average-sized penis but believe their size to be inadequate. Sadly, some clinics seem to ignore this. Surgeons in the private sector should not do this. It’s wrong on every level.”

Penile extension operations usually involve work that is as simple as a hernia repair, which the NHS is paid about £3,000 to do. But some clinics persuade men to pay as much as £40,000 for a procedure, he said.

An unknown number of men who seek such treatment have either body dysmorphic disorder or penile dysfunction disorder, both of which involve an obsessive dissatisfaction with their appearance.

Muir added: “Our view is that only men who have been fully appraised of the technical problems that occur, have been told the truth about that, and been through a full psychological assessment, should consider it.”

On a moral basis perhaps some of these cosmetic surgeon's need to take a long and hard look at themselves! (no pun intended) Taking huge sums of money from guys whom have unrealistic expectations by means of misinformation or withheld information is clearly wrong! 

If you've had penile trauma then I guess you have nothing to lose. If micropenis is present, then the small gains from cutting the suspensory ligament will have a huge effect on one's self esteem, so again it's worthwhile. But surgeons agreeing to augment an already perfectly average, normal, healthy size or even above average in some cases must always be questioned and attainment of one's psychological well being gained first. 

After a fairly recent visit to a urologist I'd mentioned my flaccid size concerns, after examination I was surprised to hear him state it was a healthy size. He did have concerns at the initial levels of retraction and stated the possibility of diabetic related nerve damage being the issue. It was this point where I mentioned I'd considered augmentation for this reason, he flat out said "DON'T" as there's other options to help this problem. (which is still being investigated) "The risk of damaging a perfectly normal and acceptable sized penis is too great for a half to one inch flaccid girth increase" was his advice. 

Given the associated costs too, common sense prevailed and I'm no longer even considering dermal fillers! 

• RodEnuf changed the title to Penis extension doesn't work

I initially thought this was about penis extensions a man would slip over his erection to make it bigger for the woman, or man as the case might be,  during sex. After it was over he would just remove it. I see now that the article is about surgical procedures. NO WAY! My penis is tiny but it works perfectly well. I would not risk the possibility of harming how my thing actually works now just to make it bigger.

• RodEnuf changed the title to Penis extension procedure doesn't work