Funny Doctor Moment

joey

@RodEnuf That’s exactly right. I was the younger son of the youngest son, so all my first cousins are gone now and I knew hardly any of them; however, three daughters of my first cousins are close to me. They are my first cousins once removed. They are all around my age.@LilGonzalote That’s common in Latin cultures Italian and Spanish. One of my grandmother’s cousins was “Uncle Jerry”, for example although I was his first cousin twice removed.

• 1 month later...

I had an ECG done recently.  The nurse said she would leave the room while i took off my shirt.  Pretty strange since she would come right back in and apply electrodes to my now bare chest.  Why did she waste time while i took my shirt off when she was going to see me without it seconds later anyway?

Found out i have have some heart issues and need a catheterization.  That will probably be done through my groin and the cardiologist i got sent to is a woman.  She will see everything i don't have.  Anxiety shrinkage will be at an all time high.

6 hours ago, toadfish327 said:

Pretty strange since she would come right back in and apply electrodes to my now bare chest.  Why did she waste time while i took my shirt off when she was going to see me without it seconds later anyway?

Many people consider the act of disrobing to be something best done in private.  Also, you might have had to at least partially lower your pants in order to untuck your outer shirt tail and your undershirt.  I don't care about the cardiac technician being present while I get out of my shirts, but I do want some privacy when it's time to tuck things back in, which requires my opening my belt, waistband button, and fly.

As it happens, she leaves the room for both.

Alan G

It was not a funny moment but it was a moment. 

I was at my urologist because I felt pain in my groin. 

He was a new and young doctor. As he examined my testicles , he said I have shrinkage in my testicle. I had to prove by words that I had always this small sized testicles.

It was really an awkward moment.

(BTW he sent me to an ultrasound examination - and my blood test proved that I have low testosterone level - I collapsed hearing the news. ) 

@RodEnuf My wife says "You have no shame".   I've never cared about who sees me naked.  I'm not bothered one bit.  My dermatologist is the most thorough one I've ever met.  He's the only one who knows my left testicle is a prosthesis.  He even commented on it with his young female assistant in the room.  It's very freeing to be absolutely shameless.  

@toadfish327

Not an MD yet, but currently training to be one and worked within various hospitals before applying to school.  If it helps, the doctor will very likely not care about your size, shrinkage or not, male or female.  I am not sure if I have the words to explain it, but often times doctors tend to disassociate their personal and professional sentiments regarding patients.  That boundary is needed so we can provide the best care, not just physically but mentally to our patients.  Good luck with the catheterization and remember to advocate for yourself.  If you feel significant anxiety regarding a female MD, you can always request to be seen by another, if possible.  One of the things I have grown to dislike in my experience is this sentiment that patients have autonomy, but our inability to reflect that in the care with give them, even though we do it for their best interest.

Edited by RodEnuf
Removed duplicate paragraph.

@DThomas First off, thank you for choosing your field even in a crazy time like this.  Exposing yourself  on the front line in order to help others is very honorable.

As far as exposing my genitals to healthcare workers, i know they see people nude every day, but my mind is still my own worst enemy when it comes to anxiety.  I also know i can choose a different cardiologist, but this lady is highly recommended, speaks good english and is covered by my insurance company.  I guess i swallow my pride to get the best care possible.  Thanks for the advice.

Good luck getting your license to practice medicine!

This topic reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth extracted. This was done in the hospital. Just before the surgery 2 nurses came in the room to give me a injection in my butt cheek. I of course had to roll over to expose my naked butt and one of my testicles was visible for them to see. Not planned on my part it just happened and I could see a smile on both of their faces. Nothing was said about it was not embarrassing I guess somewhat funny. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, Allen43 said:

A female nurse practitioner performed a company sponsored physical on me a few years ago. She checked my prostate of course. My completely smooth penis was sticking straight out maybe an inch. I was becoming embarrassed but I managed to relax enough that her gloved, lubricated finger easily went into my hole. She felt around for maybe fifteen seconds or so and then removed her finger and took off her gloves.  My scrotum was very tight and my testicles were really drawn up, almost all the way up inside me. She then attempted to give my testicles a digital exam as she rubbed her fingers over my scrotum. She tried to squeeze them down so she could examine them by touch I guess but she was having difficulty getting them to stay down. It seemed to amuse her. She smiled at me. I sheepishly returned her smile. She then said something like “they’re probably just fine”. She then did something totally unexpected to me. She gently pinched the glans of my penis between her thumb and finger and stretched it out as far as it would go and looked at it. This lasted only a few seconds and then she released it. She then wiped my anus for me herself and said, as well as I can remember, “you’re just fine ‘sweetie’. You can put your pants back on now”...and that was that. I can only imagine that she stretched my penis out like she did was out of her curiosity to get an idea of what my stretched penis length was. That’s the only reason I can think of as to why she would do something like that. I’ve heard that SPL is a very good indicator of erect penis length. This woman looked to be a bit younger than me but not too much younger I think...and she called me “sweetie”. Talk about embarrassment and deflation...

I'm surprised she needed to give it a pull, I would have been hard as soon as she told me she was going to do a prostate exam