Open Showers  

79 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to open showers at the gym or elsewhere , , , ,

• I strip down naked and use the open showers
    • I get anxious/ nervous and avoid the open showers
    • I use the open shower, but shower with underwear or swimsuit
    • I use the open shower but shower towards a wall

13 hours ago, Triasco9.5 said:

:lol:  Please, let me know where my view is popular.  It often feels like I'm the only one talking about these concepts. 

Academia.  The major Universities.  The intellectual Establishment.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, canuck45 said:

All it takes for evil (ignorance) to win, is for good people do nothing.
He was a good kid that did something.

10 years from now maybe penis jokes will be taboo as people grow and learn.

Yup.  Plenty of pushback on everything but the small penis.  That tells us something.

But, it's just "so funny" that some are "too small". . .  and such a relief not to be in that category.  Hilarious!  Can't take that away from people, now can we?

On 1/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, canuck45 said:

@JamesD Nothing to do with luck, just not a 'doomsday' viewpoint on everything....and you say eugenics like its a bad thing.

Now penis size allowing "swing" has nothing to do with luck?  The random way genes  and/or environmental factors work-out cannot be attributed to luck?  I suppose in some sense it is "determined."  

Edited by Guest

@canuck45 I appreciate your candor and vision, but I chose my wording specifically.  I held many beliefs in spite of what some adults,  even my own mother, implicitly or explicitly tried to teach me. While I personally believe nurture has a greater impact, I don't disregard nature as a factor in development (what I believe JamesD refers to as instinct).

58 minutes ago, JamesD said:

Academia.  The major Universities.  The intellectual Establishment.

I currently reside in such a space. Outside of my major, people usually tell me to hush when I tell them that things are social constructs. :) Even people from other institutions react similarly.  Such is the danger of generalizations. It would make more sense to say certain disciplines subscribe to the social constructionist view. If it were more popular todayin a meaningful way, I like to think we'd have a few less issues as societies. 

1 hour ago, Triasco9.5 said:

I currently reside in such a space. Outside of my major, people usually tell me to hush when I tell them that things are social constructs. :) Even people from other institutions react similarly.  Such is the danger of generalizations. It would make more sense to say certain disciplines subscribe to the social constructionist view. If it were more popular todayin a meaningful way, I like to think we'd have a few less issues as societies. 

Well yes!  The "social sciences, art and psychology."  For instance neo-Jungians like Camille Paglia have been targeted by the radical social constructionist, anti-instinct for firing.  

1 hour ago, Triasco9.5 said:

@JamesD lol.  I've actually almost been physically accosted by psychology majors for suggesting to them that gender is a social construct. I really meant sociology as a discipline, but our experiences are, naturally, different. 

Well, of course, there are those who don't accept the current trend toward 100% social construction.  However, the radical are the most vocal and intimidating, at least according to media reports.

@canuck45 Who can really say for sure? I feel as though it was a complex  combination of inherited traits, individual inclinations, and selective learning, though that's not to say I wasn't influenced by good people.  For example, my mother taught me a great deal about being a good and caring person.  But some of the trauma she went through as a child and as a woman influenced her behavior in ways I didn't feel good about and pushed me to resolve such issues in my own ways rather than emulate her. 

15 hours ago, canuck45 said:

10 years from now maybe penis jokes will be taboo as people grow and learn.

I doubt it.  Women & LGBTQ are protected.  Children and women are protected.  Minorities are protected.  But straight white men?  HELL NO!  I wish it would change, but I don't see it changing. 

I spent most of my life avoiding changing in front of other people/men/kids at any cost, especially anybody I knew. Never changed at school for phys-ed (I went with my shorts under my long trousers), spent the summers of my childhood and youth at swimming pools and always timed my clothes changingwhen nobody was around.  It goes without saying I avoided gyms as well. In my 30s I started to do yoga at a gym with shower stalls which was perfect. A good maneuver with the towel and I hardly showed any crotch skin when I put on my clothes out of the stall.  In my forties I started to go to a leisure centre (a sports facilities run by the city councils/municipalities in the UK) with open showers. I decided I had to face my horrors and shower there. What I realised was that because the showers were communal and all kind of guys and went (they had 5-a-side football/soccer pitches as well) there were all kind of bodies and sizes in sight. And despite I was one of the smaller ones, I wasn't alone. In fact, there were a lot more average guys than large ones around. Still, I avoided being seen by anybody I knew. Imagine my horror when I met in the showers my PT who had such a big dick he couldn't hide it no matter how lose his clothes were. And he did checked me out. I was mortified but, oh well. Life goes on...

I moved since to a fancy gym where they provide you with plenty of towels and there are shower cubicles. Now very seldom I see anybody showing their equipment that is not at least L, and most are XL or XXL. Honesstly, the other day a guy came out of the showers who had a schlong that must have been 10" soft !

On 1/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, joey said:

I doubt it.  Women & LGBTQ are protected.  Children and women are protected.  Minorities are protected.  But straight white men?  HELL NO!  I wish it would change, but I don't see it changing. 

My perception is that men with actually small penises are targeted for discrimination, cruel "humor", and low status regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation, and color by the vast majority, also regardless of race creed or color.  Most other categories of people have legal protection, protective organizations and/or some pushback.

Edited by Guest

@lean Your case illustrates the overwhelming force of the societal disapproval of the the small penis.  You were seriously mentally affected, maybe even wounded, without even having a substantially small flaccid (you state 2½ to 3"). 

Imagine what it is like to typically present in the gym locker room or showers retracted (turtled) from 0" to 1".  Everyone assumes you have a micropenis and assigns your status accordingly.  Few of us "announce" when we enter the showers that, "Hey guys, I'll have you know I'm a grower."  Some of us aren't growers, anyway.

I toughed it out, but found nothing liberating in the experience.  Well, maybe it felt better than hiding.  When getting out of my swimming suit or gym shorts, I often attempt to covertly "fluff" myself to overcome turtling, but it is usually only momentarily effective and, no doubt, guys catch me at it now and then and, thereby, detect my embarrassment.  No big deal after all these years unless someone I know happens to be there.

Edited by Guest

On 1/10/2020 at 7:21 AM, Triasco9.5 said:

@canuck45 I appreciate your candor and vision, but I chose my wording specifically.  I held many beliefs in spite of what some adults,  even my own mother, implicitly or explicitly tried to teach me. While I personally believe nurture has a greater impact, I don't disregard nature as a factor in development (what I believe JamesD refers to as instinct).

Yes, of course, by instinct I am implying "nature" instead of "nurture."  I have noticed that the politically correct anti-instinct crowd has been using the word instinct differently lately to mean "strongly reinforced" habitual learned behavior, nurture.  I see this as an effort to change word meanings to achieve unconscious consensus.  "Nature" becomes strongly ingrained "nurture" with the new wording.

Then, there is that little contradiction in this modern mindset regarding sexual orientation and gender which they want to define as "nature", but simultaneously want to define femininity and masculinity 100% social construction.  In my mind characteristics promoted by estrogen, physical and mental, are feminine.  Characteristics promoted by testosterone, physical and mental, are masculine.  Of course, much else is social construction.

I happen to currently be exposed to the "politically correct" university Establishment thinking right now, so I'm not totally off the reservation in my understanding of this, though I am off the reservation and keep my mouth shut most of the time unless I want a violent argument.

Edited by Guest

@JamesD Indeed, in describing the physical particulars of men and women, I use the adjectives "female" and "male" because,  traditionally,  these have been the terms to describe physical characteristics where as masculine and feminine have traditionally been used to describe behaviors and the like.  As long as we define our terms, it doesn't much matter unless we threaten to strip a word of a particular and significant meaning. 

I'm unfamiliar with the neologism of shifting the connection between instinct and nurture, but that's likely because,  as you astutely pointed out, we're at different institutions with different traditions, conventions, and people. I also do my best to avoid unnecessary arguments, but they tend to find us in the most unexpected times and places. :lol:

WOW... now THAT was a read, going through all these posts.  Much of the discussion caused my eyes to roll back in my head (not much of a deep thinker, I suppose).  So, at the risk of offending the more erudite members, I'll give my two cents' worth...

I may be simplistic, and I may have been raised in the very few locations where boys did NOT comment about each other's size (with one exception), but I really, honestly don't remember seeing any such harassment (directed at me or others - again, with one exception) in junior high or high school in the US or the UK.  In the US (in *my* day where *I* went to school), one would NEVER comment on another boy's package because, to do so would indicate (accurately) that you were checking him out which would make you "a homo" - greatly to be dreaded in those days (this is NOT a commentary on homosexuality, but rather a statement of fact from that time).  So, absent all the admittedly sad stories we've shared here and elsewhere on the forum, I really never gave much thought to other boys' penis size, OR to mine, for that matter.  Some were bigger, a few smaller - but then some boys were shorter, and many taller - so what?  I honestly never gave it much thought and assumed (rightly or wrongly) others didn't, either.

But that was then and this is now.  Would I strip down completely and walk naked to and from the group showers with no second thoughts today?  Honestly?  Probably NOT.  There are a few reasons why, but the most prevalent is because I think that, were I to do so today (walking around openly in the nude), I could quite likely be labeled a pervert - particularly if there happened to be any minors present.  Furthermore, as I've aged, I no longer have what I consider an average penis so, yes, I will admit it, if I stripped down today, I would probably "fluff" (as someone else mentioned) before turning around and facing the others in the room.  I can not remember EVER being concerned about my size when I was a boy, or teen, or young adult - but now - yeah, I think about it.  If I knew why I'm concerned now, I'd probably be debating with the other deep thinkers here.

All I know is, I never worried about being nude in front of others back in the day BECAUSE I was so often nude in front of others back in the day.  That's about as deep as I can think about it all.