Who Do You Get Your Penis Size From — Mom or Dad?

RodEnuf

From the MEL Magazine web site:

Or is it from Grandpa Earl, a man with an, um, prolific reputation?

In a boring, homogeneous world, guys everywhere would have the same hair, the same body, the same dick. And every woman would have the same shape, and their vaginas would be the same size and color. On the one hand, it’d be pretty utilitarian to know exactly what you’re getting into when someone’s (anyone’s) pants come off. On the other, there’d be no mystery — and where’s the fun in that?

Luckily, we don’t live in this predictable world where when you’ve seen one penis or vagina you’ve seen them all — far from it. What our genitals look like is determined by a variety of factors, the biggest being human genetics, which can produce incredibly varied, sometimes curious results.

But figuring out who in your family tree you can thank (or scream at) for the size of your penis is far trickier. Of course you inherit your genes from your mom and dad, but their genes are also a mix of their parents’ genes, which are a mix of their parents’ parents’ genes, and so on, stretching all the way back to when the first proto-humans crawled out of the primordial ooze.

So let’s take it from the beginning.

Getting Into Your Genes

For the first seven weeks of fetal development, both male and female fetuses look the same, complete with nondescript sexual organs. If you were given a Y chromosome from your father, around week eight you’ll start developing testes and the rest of the components of male genitalia, including the penis. If instead you got another X chromosome to go along with the one passed down from your mother, you’ll get a set of ovaries and female genitalia. What you’ll be working with for the rest of your life is essentially determined at this point.

While dad decides if you’ll be sporting a penis or vagina, what you get from your maternal side has a say in how those genitalia will turn out. “This is an area that isn’t completely understood, but many genes involved in the growth of penis and limbs come from the X chromosome,” explains Darius Paduch, director of sexual health and medicine at Weil Cornell. “Men have one X chromosome, and women have two. Since boys always inherit the X chromosome from the mother and the selection of that X chromosome is random, this can explain why one brother may have inherited genes for a large penis from one of the mother’s X chromosomes, but another brother inherited an average-size penis from the other.”

That said, according to Paduch, most men in a family do tend to share a similar dick length and shape. “If a father has a bigger penis, the son’s will probably be similar in length,” he says. Kind of like how if your father is tall, you will more than likely be tall as well. But it’s not so much a guarantee as it is an educated guess.

Genetic Grab Bag

Dormant genes also are passed down from generation to generation, which is why some short parents can end up with a tall kid, while others have a redheaded child when neither Mom nor Dad has red hair. The genes are in there somewhere—just not necessarily around for all to see.

Additionally, humans have about 200 genes that scientists call “de novo mutated,” meaning that they’re ever-so-slightly different than the genes you got from your parents. In practice, this can be as simple as having a dick that . . . CONTINUED

See the rest of the article on the  MEL Magazine web site. 

MEL Magazine is a lifestyle and culture magazine, covering sex, relationships, health, money, work and culture from a male point-of-view — even though we’re not all male, and aren’t entirely sure what “male” should mean anymore. We tell stories that no one else is telling, share perspectives that no one else is considering and illuminate people that no one else would even think to seek out.

Interesting article, I always thought my dad had a big penis when I was growing up and wondered why mine wasn’t but as I hit puberty I had a bit of a growth spurt and think I began to catch him up. As I have mentioned in other posts my mum did mention once when I was a teenager and she saw me nude I was getting more like him. I don’t think I ever fully got to his size flaccid but I did see him erect a couple of times and I think I would be a bit longer, so I am probably more of a grower than he was. I did see my maternal grandfather naked a couple of times and he also had a fairly large penis, I never saw his erect so have no comparison there. My brother is about the same size as me flaccid and erect now although mine is noticeably thicker. 
we had two male cousins and we both hit puberty earlier than them even though they were each a year older than us. I used to take care to make sure my older cousin saw my hairy cock at every opportunity. So I suppose it really is pot luck what you end up with. 
I would be interested to read how other people compare with their wider family. 

My dad and his brothers were all very large (6") flaccid. I had one cousin who was a year younger than me. I only saw him about once a year. When I was 11 and he was 10, we were about the same size. At 14, I was still small with no pubic hair, he was 13 starting to get pubic hair and probably 4-5" flaccid. By 15, his penis was at least 6" flaccid and probably 8-9" erect. Mine was still small but I had pubes! I had another cousin (same side of the family) who was the same age as me. Our bodies were like twins. Skinny, hairless and small penis. We are still identical in size. The rest of my cousins on that side are above average in penis size but not nearly as large as the huge one. My mom had one brother and he was average in size. Never saw him erect but he was 3-4" flaccid. He had one son who was 10 years older than me. I always thought he was huge but when I got older, he was closer in size to me. He was also one only one who had somewhat ginger pubes like me. All the cousins on that side are 6-7"erect.

54 minutes ago, canuck45 said:

As far as I know my mother didn't have a penis, so it couldn't be from her.
And my dad still had his after I was born as I have a younger sister.

Maybe I got my penis from a neighbour?
Never checked if anyone was missing one.
We got our dog from the neighbour I know that much.

There are genetic laws that determine what side of the family certain charactericts do or tend to come.  I don't know the answer, but not necessarily a foolish pursuit.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, RodEnuf said:

From the MEL Magazine web site:

Or is it from Grandpa Earl, a man with an, um, prolific reputation?

Genome testing from Ancestory.com is revealing some weird stuff.  Genetic testing of some of my cousins has determined, allegedly with high confidence that my my grandfather spread his seed a lot wider than anyone ever suspected.  Also, a grandmother may have put a child up for adoption prior to her marriage.

Edited by Guest