Video Chat - Latest status information

Diki

Question

The developer reports that he has completed the integration of the new HTML-5 based Video Chat into our forum platform.  This topic is being closed.  If you have a problem with or a question about the new Video Chat, please start a new topic here in the Tech Support forum.

Thanks to all of you for sticking with us through the transition.  Thanks to @JTT for finding the new chat system, hiring and overseeing the work of the outside developer to integrate it with our forum platform.  And thanks to the developer for his quick response to our project.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

I was in there last night and had no problems reading and writing text. No one had tried his camera, including myself. I just checked in (1.30.21, 14:40); no one was there but me, so I tried to activate my desktop computer's built-in camera without success. I'm using the latest version of Firefox and will try later with Safari.

On 1/19/2021 at 10:17 AM, zebraben said:

vinnig could you tell me is this site still giving out mail boxes to private message . it seems like mine as went away.I tried to ask in the shout out box but got no replys.Maybe you might know. Thanks

We've resolved this issue via private messages—if anyone is wondering. Thanks, Ben. 

9 hours ago, Vinnig said:

I was in there last night and had no problems reading and writing text. No one had tried his camera, including myself. I just checked in (1.30.21, 14:40); no one was there but me, so I tried to activate my desktop computer's built-in camera without success. I'm using the latest version of Firefox and will try later with Safari.

Update: Camera and microphone working for me—using Safari after fiddling with browser settings for those devices. 

After multiple fails, finally got it to work. Seems to run smoothly and a great interface. A few glitches here and there that mostly corrected themselves. The video quality is excellent. 

So, Edge and Firefox failed for me - winner is Chrome. Theme set to IPS Infraskew. Turned off VPN. Nice to be back in business here, I'm sure the other platforms will get fixed ultimately -happy to have access again. Thanks @JTT and @RodEnuf for your diligence!

Sunday afternoon update: Using Chrome here. Chat & Cam worked fine this afternoon. Had 3 people on cam at one time. I didn't have to fiddle with any browser settings. Just needed to adjust my cams zoom a bit. Be patient and you will learn the icons in no time. Thanks @JTT and @RodEnuf for all of your efforts.

@zebraben  Every site member can use the built-in Messaging app to send and receive Private Messages.  There are several ways to get into messaging.  The most straight forward is to click the "envelope" icon near the top right corner of any page on the site.  This will bring up a list of your most recent messages.  If you click "Go to Inbox" at the bottom of that list, you will be taken to a page with a list of all your message threads on the left and the full thread of a message you click on to the right.

If you are not an SOS Subscriber, you are limited to 50 PM threads.  There can be multiple replies in each thread, but only 50 threads.  To create a new PM thread after that, you must delete some threads by removing yourself from them.

If you are an SOS Subscriber, you have unlimited PM threads.

Alan G

14 hours ago, RodEnuf said:

@zebraben  Every site member can use the built-in Messaging app to send and receive Private Messages.  There are several ways to get into messaging.  The most straight forward is to click the "envelope" icon near the top right corner of any page on the site.  This will bring up a list of your most recent messages.  If you click "Go to Inbox" at the bottom of that list, you will be taken to a page with a list of all your message threads on the left and the full thread of a message you click on to the right.

If you are not an SOS Subscriber, you are limited to 50 PM threads.  There can be multiple replies in each thread, but only 50 threads.  To create a new PM thread after that, you must delete some threads by removing yourself from them.

If you are an SOS Subscriber, you have unlimited PM threads.

Alan G

Thank you but that was the thing. The little bell was there but my envelope was not there for days i did get it solved. Think i got it solved and i want to thank every one for the help and advice.

Video Chat is down until we can find and install a satisfactory replacement that does not rely on Flash Video.  @JTT is working on that.

We had expected that Flash Video would remain available, simply with no support, for a considerable time.  But it turns out that Adobe has taken active steps to block the continued use of Flash Video.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

PS:  Other Adobe products are not affected by the End of Life event for their Flash Video product.  Adobe has NOT gone away.

20 hours ago, RodEnuf said:

Video Chat is down until we can find and install a satisfactory replacement that does not rely on Flash Video.  @JTT is working on that.

We had expected that Flash Video would remain available, simply with no support, for a considerable time.  But it turns out that Adobe has taken active steps to block the continued use of Flash Video.

I do hope something is found sure miss it.

thanks,
Fred

Hi. Hang in there. I know its a fun room but me being here almost 11 years.. When i first arrived there was no video but after a couple years it arrived. if i know this site they are not going to just let it die but working on something that will be even better.Like the old old saying goes. Some times the best things in life are worth the wait.Hope to see every one in there soon.

1 hour ago, JasonBeam said:

I really have to ask, it seems that some other sites still have their video capabilities, are they using flash or another platform?

Definitely not Flash, which has vanished into the Great Ethers. I'll hazard a guess they are using HTML-5.

I've been able to get into chat since I did not uninstall flash. I've seen two other users have been there recently Ted and blueeyes. A lot of browsers have also blocked the plugin but there are some still allow it's activation and use.