Another Low Priority - Member's Status?

Question

In the forums, whenever we post, on the left we see the User's Name and the avatar.  Between those two items is one of a set of presumably-automatically-generated words such as "Journeyman" or "Enthusiast" or "Member" etc.  So - what are the parameters?

And, while I'm (sort of) on the subject, what about those green "plus signed" numbers under the avatar?  If I remember correctly, they're some sort of "engagement" or "community participation" points or something similar - is the Journeyman/Enthusiast/etc label associated?

This is probably all in some "new member orientation" post that I read when I joined ten years ago but, well, I've slept since then.

Thanks!

Here's what I know and what I have concluded...

All of us who have verified our access to the Rank or Title field on our Profile Edit page happen not only to be SOS Subscribers but also have made over 500 posts.  I have verified that @smallgrower does not have access to that field on his Profile Edit page despite being an SOS Subscriber.  I have also explored the available site settings for different categories of site membership (Member, SOS Subscriber, Moderator, Administrator, etc.) and found no option for permitting some classes of members to set their own Rank or Title.

This leads me to the conclusion that the ability of SOS Subscribers to set their own Rank or Title was lost when we moved to our present software platform in April, 2018.

@smallgrower had the rank "Newbie."  I have no explanation for that.  Based on his post count he should have had the rank associated with 100 to 199 posts.  That's one of the two ranges with the title "Member."  I have changed the rank for the range of 100 to 199 posts to "Busy Member" and I have made the same change to @smallgrower's Title.  I am not sure when and how the system makes the automatic Rank changes.  I suspect it is a background process that runs periodically overnight.  I'll try to find out and let everyone know with a follow up reply here.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

5 hours ago, RodEnuf said:

I'll try to find out and let everyone know with a follow up reply here.

So..... I just performed an upgrade here.... and it popped up that they reworked this whole system.  I didn't dig into it, but it gave the link to learn about the new system.   

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/drum-roll-please…-announcing-achievements-r1227/

So many questions.... I just logged in and found an icon in the lower left corner of my avatar - it's a grey "starburst" looking this with a pair of clapping hands.  When I hover over it, I see "Rank: Newbie (1/14)."  Guess I'll go look at my profile.  But it appears I have only 430-some posts so I AM a newbie, compared to many of you guys here!

On 6/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, JTT said:

So..... I just performed an upgrade here.... and it popped up that they reworked this whole system.  I didn't dig into it, but it gave the link to learn about the new system.   

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/drum-roll-please…-announcing-achievements-r1227/

When I clicked on my screen name to access my profile, I discovered I'm now listed as "Newbie" rather than "Postmaster General". Somehow, I've been demoted despite having been a member since 2002 with well over 1,000 posts. Something is amiss, eh?

Like @JTT, I have also not had time to learn the details of how the system now manages a member's Rank and how to deal with related options that the system allows us to set.  Just skimming the surface I can tell you that Rank is no longer based just on number of posts.  Instead, it's based on points, and post count is just one contributor to points.

The new 7-pointed badge reports a member's Rank.  It appears that we can turn them off, but I don't yet know if we can have Rank appear below your avatar as text as it used to.  I also don't know what we have to do to get the system to do an initial re-evaluation of all Ranks.

It's going to take some time for @JTT or me or both of us to learn the details of the updated system.  And there are likely other parts of the system that have been updated that we haven't yet discovered.  I do know that SPAM management is one other area of significant change.

Alan G

On 6/27/2021 at 1:38 AM, RodEnuf said:

Like @JTT, I have also not had time to learn the details of how the system now manages a member's Rank and how to deal with related options that the system allows us to set.  Just skimming the surface I can tell you that Rank is no longer based just on number of posts.  Instead, it's based on points, and post count is just one contributor to points.

The new 7-pointed badge reports a member's Rank.  It appears that we can turn them off, but I don't yet know if we can have Rank appear below your avatar as text as it used to.  I also don't know what we have to do to get the system to do an initial re-evaluation of all Ranks.

It's going to take some time for @JTT or me or both of us to learn the details of the updated system.  And there are likely other parts of the system that have been updated that we haven't yet discovered.  I do know that SPAM management is one other area of significant change.

Alan G

I think from what I read..... it took a few days for everyone's rank to update.... seems to now.  Canuck is Grand Master and everyone was a newbie right after update.    As @RodEnuf said, it's more than posts, it's people following you, comments, likes etc..... more encompassing of "participation" instead of just posts.  

On 6/26/2021 at 11:34 PM, Vinnig said:

When I clicked on my screen name to access my profile, I discovered I'm now listed as "Newbie" rather than "Postmaster General". Somehow, I've been demoted despite having been a member since 2002 with well over 1,000 posts. Something is amiss, eh?

I think it just took time!  I see you as a veteran now.

52 minutes ago, JTT said:

I think it just took time!  I see you as a veteran now.

Well, I did fight in the Boor War with Major Hoople.* :D

I wonder how many points I'll need to regain my "Postmaster General" ranking.

Thanks for the heads up.

(*Never heard of Major Hoople? Search for Our Boarding House comic strip.)

grand mas·ter
/ɡrand ˈmastər/

noun

1. 1.
    a chess player of the highest class, especially one who has won an international tournament.

2. 2.
    the head of an order of chivalry or of Freemasons.
Edited by Guest

On 6/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, RodEnuf said:

If you're an SOS Subscriber, as @smallgrower is, just go to your Profile Edit page and type what you want into the Rank field.  Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button.

Hmmm.... saw no such option on my "Edit Profile" page.  Maybe I missed it, but checked twice before switching to whining mode.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, canuck45 said:

We have faith you will get it all sorted out.  At least it didn't set everything back to zero....it still shows under my profile having 10,891 posts and have earned all 8 badges - Grand Master.

The automated system just informed me I've reached Grand Master status. Does that mean I've won a magic wand containing a phoenix feather? How about a light saber? A toaster? An autographed picture of Emma Peel (AKA Diana Rigg)? :D

We converted to the "Invision Community" software platform in April, 2014.  But it appears that all of the stats used for the new Ranks and Badges system are measured from the time that update was installed on our system which was apparently in June of this year (2021).  The system does still know the original registration date for each account.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

On 6/27/2021 at 12:38 AM, RodEnuf said:

Alan G

well what is the difference anyway? does rank get special privileges? in terms of posts, quantity certainly does not mean quality. 

t