Is there a way to temper a members posts that are obvious fabrications?

IndyBanker1946

Question

19 answers to this question

In some cases.  If you click the menu icon (3 dots) in the top right corner of such a post and click "Report" in the drop down menu, a text entry form will open where you can type a complaint or description of the problem with the post.  When you submit that, the Report (along with a link to the post) is made available to the three site administrators.  If you think it will take reporting multiple posts to make the case that there's a problem, submit more than on report.  Please include any information that convinces you that the posts are false or that the account holder is a fake.

One of us will respond and let you know what, if any, action we are taking.  A site administrator has several options including editing the posts, removing the posts, warning the user, temporarily banning the user, permanently banning the user, or some combination of these.

You can also block a user's posts, which just hides all that user's posts from you.  Of course it doesn't help clean-up the site.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

Some things might be slight exaggerations, but  do we know someone is "obviously" fabricating.  If you say your balls are the size of a baseball I might want a pic LOL

I find the admins do a pretty good job if you report a posting to them.

As a "support" site it's a delicate balance and there are some fragile self-esteem.

and then some posters, when called politely on their fabrications, disappear.

Best thing, don't feed the trolls (not that we ever have had many here)

On 8/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, IndyBanker1946 said:

NotSmall...Zero believability, like almost all of his posts.

hows about if you don't like his posts simply don't read them? let the rest of us make our own decision if we like his posts or not. i do not need you to censor what i see.

t

I kind of agree with tony. Can i say that there are some forums that i enjoy a lot. Then some i dont and when i first read them if im not intrested i stop reading it. each person here has different tastes likes and dislikes. Hell i been writting forums that are kind of on a idiot level and maybe ten guys dont like it but hell maybe two or three does. I think thats what makes it kind of fun  fact or fiction  who cares if the fiction is of intrest im going to keep reading. If some one is on here and they are happy with what there writting true or not there having fun here. I dont know what trolling is and please forgive me if this guy is doing it  but i just dont like to see any one fun taken away. unless hes breaking the rules here.

Trolling: dragging something through the water (the bait) hoping something bites

TROLLING on the internet:  making  outrageous comments (the bait - usually with no evidence to support it), just to elicit a bunch of angry responses (the bite).  They usually post and then leave.
It's how TROLLS get their jollies (angry responses)
They might also cross post the same thing in dozens of forums (cut and paste)

Best thing, Don't respond (Don't feed the Trolls)  or just respond "Yeah, OK, whatever" and leave.

Never have a battle of wits with a troll, it's not nice to fight an unarmed opponent.

@zebraben sent an example in private message.   I didn't post the example here, it might get people angry.

Edited by canuck45

Very simple solution, just as in real life.

Dick Heads need to be told & educated that they are just that.
Telling that is doing them a favour in fact. They don't know this about themselves.
It's our civic duty to tell them they are dickheads for their own benefit.

So by letting them know there is a VERY remote chance they may go on the journey of self improvement.

But then on the other hand, "Ignorance is Bliss".

On 1/8/2022 at 11:49 AM, 3point5inch said:

why is graduating Summa Cum Laude relevant?

The use of the phrase Suma Cum Laude is simply @canuck45's indirect way of referring to that author's claiming to be a graduate of the phony "Troll" University.

According to the Urban Dictionary:

troll: n.  Someone who deliberately pisses people off online in order to get a reaction.

Alan G

On 1/9/2022 at 7:10 PM, RodEnuf said:

The use of the phrase Suma Cum Laude is simply @canuck45's indirect way of referring to that author's claiming to be a graduate of the phony "Troll" University.

According to the Urban Dictionary:

troll: n.  Someone who deliberately pisses people off online in order to get a reaction.

Alan G

well maybe i do not have the intellectual capacity to keep up with you and canuck .

On 1/10/2022 at 1:10 AM, RodEnuf said:

Alan G

I have been known, though not here and under my real name, to provocatively piss people off on-line, particularly if they express 'woke' views on behalf of others they've never met and cannot know. Perhaps that's just an Ancient Briton's way.