Access to member profiles

It was recently called to our attention that Guests (people not logged in) visiting the Measurection site can see the profile of any user whose post they can view in one of our open to the public forums.

In an effort to restrict profile access to logged in members, we have purchased an add-on to the Invision Community software platform that is supposed to allow us to control permissions for access to profiles.  We are having trouble configuring that add-on to block only Guests from viewing someone else's profile.  At this time with the add-on installed, nobody can see anyone's profile but their own.

We are working to resolve the problem and to find out how to properly configure the add-on.  If we don't get a solution today, we will remove the add-on until we can get a solution from the developer.

So access to other user's profiles may come and go as we work to resolve the problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we hope the end result will be a more secure system for all of us.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

It looks like @JTT has got it fixed.  Guests, that is people who are not logged in, can no longer view member profiles.  Likewise, search engine bots that from time to time crawl the site also can not see profiles.  On the other hand, logged in members can view all member profiles as before.  Thanks, @JTT.

If you come across any situation where this function does not appear to be working correctly, please let us know by posting a reply in this topic or by sending me a PM.

I'm curious about this topic because of something that happened about 4 weeks (maybe 5) ago.  Over a week period,  every time I came here logged in in the anonymous mode (not going in video chat)  I would check the  online user list before I left and was surprised to see non-logged in guests looking at my profile.  The first time 3, a day later 2 and then 1 the next time.  How do they even know I'm here?  Each time I used the filter and all were non logged in guests. 

@rod1960  I am unable to reproduce the situation you describe.  Since June 8, non logged in users cannot view any Profile.  Before that date, they could.  Also, a user does not have to be logged in for logged in users to view his profile.  Non logged in users used to be able to do this too.

What might draw someone's attention to your Username and thus to your profile when you are not logged in or you're in Hidden mode?  Seeing a post that you have made.  Your username next to your forum and gallery posts is always visible and is always a link to your profile.  Guests will now get an error message if they use that link.  Logged in users will see your profile.

My responce wasn't a complaint.  I was just curious about it.  I always thought most "guests" are just other members who like me are just to lazy to log in.  If someone really wants to view your profile they can log in.  Aren't most profile views just to see if penis size is listed. Lol

4 minutes ago, rod1960 said:

Aren't most profile views just to see if penis size is listed. Lol

Cannot agree with that ascertion Rod, from a personal perspective: I viewed yours after recent post in humour (I'm a CAMRA member so appreciated the angle!), also access profiles if in chat or fora and something interests me.

• 3 weeks later...

@rod1960  There is absolutely no advertising on the Measurection site so, no, we don't "need the clicks."

People don't register on a site if they can't see any of the content on the site.  Not all the forums on the site can be entered by people who are not logged in.  People who are not logged in can only post in the New Forum Software Announcements forum and the Site Tech Support & New Forum Questions forum.  And they can't read all the forums, but the main forum is one that they can read.

If you see posts by "Guest" in forums other than the two mentioned above, they are actually posts made by former site members who requested that their account be deleted.  When an account is deleted, the departing member's posts are all reassigned to the mythical user "Guest."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you have a Private Message (PM) from "Guest" or if you see a post from "Guest" in any forum other than the New Forum Software Announcements forum or the Site Tech Support & New Forum Questions forum, the post was made by someone whose Measurection Account has been deleted at the former member's request.  An active member who is not logged in can neither send nor receive PMs.  He must log in if he wants to send, reply to, or read a PM.

Alan G

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, Appreciater said:

I've thought about new members who leave All their profile page blank.   I get the feeling they are not here to participate...but Only to be Nosey and trying to find something to turn them on.🙄

My thoughts on this older post (that I just read again for the first time :P)... I think another possibility is that new members who leave their profile page blank may be testing the waters, so to speak.  They may be checking to see if the content interests them enough (AND they feel comfortable enough) to go ahead and provide the additional (optional) information.

That said, if one finds a member who has been a member for a "significant" amount of time yet who has still provided little or no information, well that might be the type of person you're describing.  Of course, what "significant" means is each individual Member's call.

• 1 month later...