Uploading Pics Dec 5/2022

canuck45

Question

15 answers to this question

.JPG files are much smaller than .PNG files, especially for photographs (somewhat less difference for illustrations).  PNG file compression is lossless, that is every single pixel is an exact duplicate of the original when the image is decompressed.  JPG compression is lossy, but it is designed in a way that when a photographic image is decompressed  and viewed as a whole, the losses are nearly imperceptible.  The JPG image will download and display more quickly.

I don't know if the image dimensions are a problem in this case or not.  Just converting to JPG may solve the problem.  I leave it to you to decide whether to try the full resolution images as JPEGs to see if they will work or whether to reduce the resolution from the getgo.  If the tool you use to convert to JPG allows you to specify compression "quality," I suggest 80%.

Alan G

Well, let's see what happens when I try to upload a JPG file.

Fun Sized.jpg

Hmm, no problem here.

Perhaps there's some kind of internal format error in your image.  There have previously been issues uploading an image file that was actually of one type (like a PNG file) with a file extension of a different type (like JPG).  There is also, I believe, a size limit that causes a failure during the system's thumbnail resizing.  I can't remember if it's a limit on the file size or on the image dimensions in pixels.

Maybe @JTT can track down the actual Error Code.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

PS:  Adrian, you can send me a copy of the file via email to <rodenuf@measurection.com> and I'll see if I can find out what might be going on.

Edited by RodEnuf
Added Post Script.

For anyone who might be following this thread, @canuck45 and I are now communicating about his problems with the Measurection site by email through our Support Management system which is initially accessed by using a "Contact Us" link on the site.  So far, nobody else has reported any similar issues.

Alan G -- Measurection Administrator

For those that are missing part of the conversation.
I tried resetting my router, cleared my cache, did a dns flush and nothing worked, either couldn't post or couldn't even connec to measurection.
I eventually unplugged the router for a couple of minutes  and turned off computer for about 10 minutes (complete shutdown, not a restart)
Plugged in the router, turned on the computer and connected here and manually typed in my response in the forum I was active in.
AND it accepted the posting.

Who knows something in the article I had cut and pasted originally, a glitch at my end, something in the cache.  Originally I thought it might have been the pic I had attached,
Computers are so much fun

Well, not to hijack this thread OR flog a dead horse but...

A day or so ago, I tried uploading five photos to the gallery.  Got an error.  Tried again with one.  Got a error.  Tried again an hour or so later.  Nope.

Just tried the five photos a few minutes ago (c.0020 EST) and again got an error.  This time I copied it:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The photos might be too large (c. 1.2MB or so each).  I'm pretty sure this is the same error I got the first night I tried it.  I do remember something was "unavailable."

On 12/29/2022 at 1:14 AM, RodEnuf said:

@CuriousNow  What are the dimensions Hight in pixels & Width in pixels of the largest  image?  And do any of the images happen to be .PNG images?

Largest was 2460w by 1600h (resolution 144x144), 2.2MB.  And, yes, they ALL are .PNG files.  Perhaps I should downsize them first?  And I can convert them to .JPGs if that'll take up less disc space.

Thank you, @RodEnuf.  I think I'll convert them to JPG and, if allowed, will set "quality" to 80%.

UPDATE:  Converted to JPG and c.80% (the actual amount was unknown - it was a slider bar).  Well, that changed the FILE size dramatically.  Oddly, however, the dimensions are unchanged!  I uploaded two sets of associated photos.  Thank you!

Edited by CuriousNow
Add the update!