Boys Developing Bigger Younger

The studies I've read all agree that kids are getting physically older, younger. The reasons are less clear. While hormones in food could certainly be a factor, so could something simple like better nutrition in general.

Studies need to look at things like socio-economic status, varying cultural habits in food and the varying ethnic makeup of our society, and levels of education. I suspect some correlations.

I've spent a lot of time consulting to the retail industry including supermarkets, and there is no question in my mind that poorer, urban populations have fewer choices and pay higher prices for lower quality food than your typical suburban middle-class family. I don't know if nutritional differences like this influence the time of the onset of puberty, but it wouldn't surprise me. After all, we were all a lot shorter a few hundred years ago, and that's not enough time for a significant evolutionary effect.

I certainly think that the access to better nutrition and type of food has an impact on development.

When I traveled and lived in Latin America I was made aware that Latino men there were clearly physically smaller and perhaps developed later than the Latino men I knew in the United States.

Nutritional value may also play a part, but it'd be counterintuitive, or at least, could go either way.

We get much better quality of food than 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago. So, logically, modern children would be able to become viable bearer of children at earlier ages, as compared to ourselves or our predecessors.

But if that's the case, then who do economically disadvantaged populations mature earlier than their more affluent counterparts? There's no way that in 100 years of evolution, they've adapted early sexual maturity to compensate for a shorter lifespan as compared to suburban populations.

IIRC, human sexual maturity became more delayed as time went on, until this century, when it made a u-turn. In the 1800s, people were expected to start their family before they reached 20. By 30, women were considered over the hill and past child-bearing age. In the middle ages, girls were candidates for marriage and child bearing by 13, because heck, they weren't expected to live past 35 (thus, their children would be fully grown before the parents expired their life expectancy).

I don't think it is counterintuitive. I don't believe we do get much better quality food than 100 years ago. I believe we get more calories. I think the industry is more efficient, and we are generally more affluent, but I'm not convinced we get "better" food.

One simple example -- not trying to scientifically prove anything. I work at home, and I try to watch what I eat. My typical lunch is a simple chicken sandwich. I used to buy the packaged sliced chicken breast at the grocery store. Then I read the label. Virtually all have been injected with salt, sugar, and water -- which makes it taste good!

Now I buy plain chicken breasts, and brine, season, bake, and slice them myself. (It's not as much work as it sounds.) I love salt, and I use plenty of it, but at least I know what I'm eating. I doubt most families know or spend the time to prepare their own foods like that. Yet it was common 50 years ago. That could make a difference.

We need more (unbiased, non-governmental/political) studies. If you don't read or understand nutritional labels, you are getting more salt and sugar than you know. I was shocked when I looked at the prepackaged meats at a "Super Walmart." The label -- in extremely fine, blury print -- says the package can contain 20% saline. That's just salt water. Tastes good, but I wonder how many of those relatively lower-income people know they're paying for 20% salt water.

Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack. I just don't think the potential nutritional influence on puberty is counter-intuitive. Evolutionary changes are typically measured in tens or hundreds of thousands of years at a minimum, not a few hundred.

Yep food tastes great, BUT 20% saline, hmmm all that salt is good for you. Fifty years ago I think people ate simpler foods (not pre-packaged, processed) but it may have been more nutrional...look at what everyone is going back to - organic, plain, simple, unrefined.

Kids are larger today. Is it the diet or diet with supplements. However are the majority healthier??? With over 50% overweight its a good question. Bigger but less healthy?

It may seem kids are more developed, but in Grade 7 most of the guys were into puberty, developed organs, body hair. By grade 8 all were in my class.

I read a fascinating study about 2 years ago and I wish I could find the online link.

Over a very long period of time, American college graduates were studied to determine their "fitness" at graduation.

When the process started, 20% of graduates were considered "very fit", 50% were considered "fit" and 30% were considered "overweight, obese or unfit, or something similar."

Good news was that, after 20 years, the number of "very fit" graduates rose to 28%.

A more fit society one might conclude.

The problem is that the "fit" group dropped to 35% and the "overweight, obese or unfit" group rose to 37%.

In many ways the study replicates other studies that show that since 1980, the number of upper- middle-class Americans has grown from 2% to 8% of the population (hey, proof that the middle class is becoming wealthier right!).

But wait, the number of lower-middle-class and lower-class has also grown from 20% to near 30% of the population. What happened? Well, that solid group we used to call from sociology the middle-middle-class dropped from 60% of the population to 44%.

There are so many studies that show that lower-middle-class and lower-class people consume high- calorie, high-salt, low-protein, low-nutrition foods that is almost scary.

• 6 years later...

With earlier puberty many 14-15 y/o have full grown penises, but not full grown bodies. That creates an optical illusion that the penis is ever larger than it is.

Also, unless you're at a nudist resort, the boys that allow themselves to be seen are usually more well endowed. If you're at a gym and the youngers seem to be larger overall than the olders, just remember that you are not looking at a valid "statical" segment of society from which to make a generalization.

I do think hormones in what we eat have had a big effect on earlier puberty and size increases of body parts. To me, it seems that school age girls have larger breasts than 35 years ago when I in high school. Back then there were only a few that were C cup and larger but seeing girls today in public, there is a much higher percentage that are C+ sized.

I recently got drafted into volunteering at a kids triathlon event, and saw more boys in speedos, bike shorts, and naked than I have for decades. I have always known I was small, but it was humbling to see the newest generation.

I staffed the swim-to-bike changing station for most of the time, a post I was not prepared to be all that interesting. My main task was to make sure parents didn't assist the athletes during the transition, which is considered to be part of the competition.

The younger boys mostly changed down to nothing. I could not help but notice that they all seemed to have two or more inches, even getting out of the pool, as long as mine or longer (though of course much skinnier). Not a one of them other than one fat kid had the little nubbin like I had growing up, and no shortage of my friends had too.

The older boys had bigger equipment, of course, even the ones who hadn't ostensibly hit puberty sometimes seemed to be packing bulges more prominent than my own.

Their muscles, too, were much more developed in many cases than any boys' were back when I was a kid. I realize that this was an athletic subset, but I simply don't think I remember those sorts of abs or leg muscle definition on even the fittest of the boys in my day.

It churns my stomach to think of how much interest I ended up having in a bunch of little boys' bodies, but I can't help but feel a sense of injustice. Most of the 11 and 12 year olds competing are fitter and better hung than I will ever be. I had no idea the cutoff was that low.

• 8 months later...

I noticed too.  My son is 15 years old. He always walks in underwear in the house. His package was bigger than mine, but still average, I think.  About 4" flaccid.  But recently, he has clearly had a puberty surge, his package has grown from half an apple to half an orange, his penis is now big and he knows it because he seems always make an expression to show it: he no longer closes his bedroom door when he changes, walks in boxer without shirt, etc. The other day I went in front of his door open when he changed and I Because of his penis, he was ridiculously huge, he was clearly around 6" long and 5.7" in circumference, and that could be unthinkable, but it's true.

I think very sincerely that my son is an exception but I still wanted to share it because it hurt me a bit to see that.

On 9/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, HarrrGamerZ said:

I noticed too.  My son is 15 years old. He always walks in underwear in the house. His package was bigger than mine, but still average, I think.  About 4" flaccid.  But recently, he has clearly had a puberty surge, his package has grown from half an apple to half an orange, his penis is now big and he knows it because he seems always make an expression to show it: he no longer closes his bedroom door when he changes, walks in boxer without shirt, etc. The other day I went in front of his door open when he changed and I Because of his penis, he was ridiculously huge, he was clearly around 6" long and 5.7" in circumference, and that could be unthinkable, but it's true.

I think very sincerely that my son is an exception but I still wanted to share it because it hurt me a bit to see that.

Never seen my son naked after he got older. I’m 5-8 tops and he topped 6 feet. I always secretly prayed that he also was bigger than me down below as well. 

@pokerpro831 The same as you down below wouldn't be the end of the world would it? You have a son, so your penis served its purpose and clearly you were, or still are in a relationship so your size had no bearing on that either. 

Bigger will no doubt see he suffers less anxiety through adulthood but for many guys what they see as a size deficiency isn't necessarily reflected in what a partner sees. 

17 hours ago, Red Scott said:

@pokerpro831 The same as you down below wouldn't be the end of the world would it? You have a son, so your penis served its purpose and clearly you were, or still are in a relationship so your size had no bearing on that either. 

Bigger will no doubt see he suffers less anxiety through adulthood but for many guys what they see as a size deficiency isn't necessarily reflected in what a partner sees. 

I think a genital mismatch between Father and Son is a real difficult psychological issue.  Very real, not imaginary.

15 minutes ago, overthehill said:

I think a genital mismatch between Father and Son is a real difficult psychological issue.  Very real, not imaginary.

You’re saying fathers are jealous of sons with bigger dicks? I wouldn’t be. He’s a grown man now. I just hope he is happy and doesn’t suffer like I sometimes do with insecurity. 

Red: it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Just would be better for his psyche to not worry like I have. I had a wife for 25 years. She was fine with it. Like most it affects us more than them. I’ve never been laughed at or rejected because of my size and I am sexting one woman who thinks I’m ‘huge.’ And I am compared to her Korean husband.

Even though I don’t believe I’m ‘huge’ it sure feels good to have someone else tell you that. 

3 hours ago, pokerpro831 said:

You’re saying fathers are jealous of sons with bigger dicks? 

No, a father might be jealous, but that would not be justified.  

No, I think a significant mismatch either way creates very different attitudes toward life and sex, ie. alienation between father and son.

Edited by Guest

@overthehill I'm envious that my son has a much larger flaccid size (don't know what his erect size is) but I'm also happy knowing he won't suffer the issues I have, especially with flaccid size as that is intrinsically linked to our view of our own erect size when we are younger. I don't feel jealous of him I just consider him fortunate. He too is a grown man now at 22 and has a daughter of his own already. 

Both of mine, 18 & 22 now sport flaccid sizes that are not far off my erections.
Would have no idea if they are showers or growers, but noticed both have had other than regular condoms in their "Secretly" hidden stashes.

Not in the slightest bit jealous, and in a sense glad that they were brought up without the invasive judgemental opinion & information that I got as a teen.

And that came from a parent with a long background of medical training & a lifetime career in her several fields.

18 hours ago, overthehill said:

No, a father might be jealous, but that would not be justified.  

No, I think a significant mismatch either way creates very different attitudes toward life and sex, ie. alienation between father and son.

For instance if one is 4" erect or less and the other 6-7" erect, there is a very different outlook.  One confident the other worried.  This has nothing to do with jealousy or a supportive attitude.

I agree that a difference in size between father and son generates the potential for the dissonance you mention,  Over,  but no matter who has what, I think it's incumbent upon the father to make sure the son is both comfortable with his size and that he understands size isn't something chosen, earned, or necessarily inherited and,  as such,  is not something for which to blame or humiliate anyone. Do I think a father has the right to feel pride, envy, or concern about their son's size? Absolutely, because there are things men need to know about their penises regardless of the size and some things they need to understand about their size and limitations it may bring. And because of this, those feelings, while valid, should not stand in the way of the father doing his duty as a parent. Honestly, I expect the same of a single mother though, I say this mostly because I wish my father had been around to teach me such things rather than having to figure  much of it out on my own, despite my mother doing her best. 

My apologies for what I realize now is a rant. lol.