Amazed at the minds of idiots

Thing is I agree there is no way of ethically justify that kind of mockery (we're discovering hot water here). Yes, we know that, but that's the universe we live in... and this is a hierarchical universe... that characteristic of nature manifest in everything, and is better to overcome it and find ways to manage it and creativily overcome our limitations (there are many kind of limitations).

(Not everyone can have anything all the time, but in this transactional culture almost anything is momentarily available for anyone... at some price)

Yes, there's friendship, there's love, there's compassion; but it's better to design our lives primarily taking into account the sharp edges, the dark alleys, the cold truths of nature and reality.

So, we can repeat a hundred times "there's no way to justify that kind of mockery" and yes, it's true; but you can't control other people behavior, you just can control your own behavior.

Edited by ~Soma~

@~Soma~ We have different understandings. What you call "the universe" is actually "society". We're not talking about laws of physics as we understand them, we're talking about social dynamics, which revolve around social constructions. Which are contested and shift through space. time,  culture,  etc.

Should we prepare ourselves and be wary of people doing the wrong thing? Yes, absolutely.  Should we simply accept that some people will do the wrong thing as an excuse to not call them out on it,  sympathize with people who've dealt with them,  and do our best to put in the effort to prevent that behavior in the future through education? Obviously, the answer is no, it's not an excuse and we should put in the effort. 

I don't expect everyone to put in the effort though, honestly.  But I say these things for the people that need to hear so they will do the right thing.  Part of putting in the effort. 

Edited by RodEnuf
Removed 100% quote of immediately preceding post.

@Triasco9.5:  

1. Nope, when I said "the universe" I mean "the universe". Hierarchy is one of the most powerful ways in which the phenomenon called entropy shapes reality... and human societies and cultures are just examples of structures in which it manifests in one way or another.

2. I agree people sometimes need to hear "It's not your fault" (this has a palliative effect), but it's also true a lot of times people need to hear "This is reality. Be prepared. You can do it" (this has a preventive effect). If you can prevent something, you'll not be even need to palliate it.

3. So, I don't disagree with your point, I'm just saying there's another important side of things here.

Edited by RodEnuf

1. Hierarchy is a social construct, an idea born of and reified by humans, impressed upon our perception of reality. 

2. Your logic seems sound, but just like preventative health measures are meant to prevent illness and don't always succeed,  simply telling people to be prepared does not negate the occurrence of treatment or medicine. 

3. I acknowledge what you're saying, and I agree,  there is a necessity to prepare people for encounters with such people.  But even such preparation as you describe is palliative, not getting at the true cause of the issue.  And that's not necessarily just the person affected,  but the actions of the person doing the affecting.   The point I was trying to make is that everyone seemed to be acting like the OP's situation was entirely his own fault for bringing something up, rather than even acknowledging that the other people that made the conversation an insult had a part in it.

Edited by RodEnuf

@Triasco9.5 : I'll not insist in the things we highly or mildly agree; but I insist in the hierarchical nature of the universe, you can remove humankind from the universe and the universe will keep structuring things the same way it does: smaller objects are attracted by bigger objects by gravity, big fish eats small fish, the higher in the periodic table an element are the more energy a star consumes to produce it, etc, etc, and this are just a few and very simplistic examples of all the ways hierarchy manifest. Of course, compassion, love, reason, understanding are ways to avoid the unethical effects of that natural structure in society... but they are just social constructs that belongs to the behavior of some species (highly developed in humans).

Anyways, this forum is not intended to discusse nature of reality; although if you want, we can continue via PM, because our debate is very interesting.

Edited by ~Soma~

5 hours ago, in part, ~Soma~ said:

Anyways, this forum is not intended to discusse nature of reality; although if you want, we can continue via PM, because our debate is very interesting.

Sure, feel free to PM.

Edited by RodEnuf
Reduced 100% quote of immediately preceding post to the part responded to.