Counselling?

j4s3

The help comes from empowering you with the tools to learn self acceptance, self esteem, cognitive thought patterns, dealing with anxieties to name but a few. You don't need to have personal experience of a given issue to help someone onto the right path. My therapist didn't even have a penis and she worked wonders with my issue!

Don't mix up "therapy" and "counseling" as they are very different things.

For both therapy and counselling you need empathy and imagination. Even if someone had a tiny penis, their 'tiny penis experience' might be very different from yours - they may have overcome their problems and, like an ex-smoker, can't see why you can't get over it, for example.

I have received amazing support and therapy physical and sexual abuse issues from people who have experienced neither. Recently, Scott gave me lots of support on the death of my mother even though a) he hasn't lost a parent and B) he said he was no good with bereaved people! But he has empathy, imagination and kindness, and that's all you need.

I'd say, don't limit the love and support you get by only taking it from people with the same issue. Therapists and counsellors make a living helping people who have experiences very few people have (experience of torture, of being a refugee etc.) because they know how to help.

T-dog, the "Scott gave me amazing support when my mother died" did indeed give me a warm (red) glow! It's such a nice thing to say and nice to read. I do sit here though and think how it came to be when I consider myself as "rubbish" in times like this. Perhaps the simplicity of what I consider rubbish was just the tonic required, a tonic without any pretense and falsity? I do think in times of bereavement some people can be over the top and come across as disingenuous.

therapy, counseling, psychiatrists have been suggested to me since i was a kid.

i know i am thinking the right way and am healthy when such suggestions are made.

this kind if crap is used to control people.

for example, those who disagree with Trump simply call him "crazy". the more he is called crazy the happier i am that i voted for him.

one simply need call analytical thinker "paranoid" if one does not like his conclusions.

those who rejected the Nazi party were diagnosed "mentally defective". keep this in mind.

if you believe it helps, more power to you. ive a lot of more fun things to spend time and money on.

(bike stuff, guns, cigars, etc).

id rather buy these things for myself instead of the "therapist".

tony

Counselling:

to get or take counsel or advice.

interchange of opinions as to future procedure; consultation; deliberation.

deliberate purpose; plan; design.

to urge the adoption of, as a course of action; recommend (a plan, policy, etc.):

Seems this board has a lot of 'counselling' occurring.

Methinks Tony might not wish to be counselled, and I respect him for that.

Counselling, were-ever from canuck's thesaurii one cares to start (I expect to be jumped on for that), does require an interchange between two (possibly more) participants.

A non-participant is not and can not be counselled or counselling.

Where counseling and/or therapy works for one it may not necessarily work for another. For anyone whom has never tried this route (where there's a possible need) to dismiss it out of hand as un-effective or unnecessary then I would say don't knock it until you've tried it!

After all, a problem shared is a problem halved, so they say! Surely everyone has talked to someone about an issue at some point and immediately after felt that huge sense of relief? Well counseling can do the same.

Agreed a lot of advice, suggestions, ideas and thoughts can be exchanged on the internet. However a lot of bad info can come from it too, probably a lot more so than with a counsellor/therapist.

BTW counsellor is English/Canadian, I am not misspelling it repeatedly. LOL

For some people, in certain circumstances, the only way forward is with professional help and this is where the internet is of no use except to help search for a counsellor or therapist.

Depending on which country you reside in, it doesn't have to cost thousands. In the UK for instance certain counselling and certain therapists are free of charge on the NHS.

• 4 weeks later...

lol i love (read: don't love) that i asked whether people had any experience with counseling in regards to their size issues and somehow it brings out the trump apologists and those who advocate loudly against counselling/therapy across the board. perhaps my questions should be more specific in the future.

... that being said, i have very much appreciated hearing the different thoughts and experiences of those who understood the initial query :) since posting, I've had maybe 3 or 4 appointments and it's been going well. the treatment has been EMDR actually and it's been really helpful in confronting a lot of the seemingly - unrelated - but - actually - very - connected trauma that underlies the size issues.