Using the word "Common" instead of "Average"

Howdy,

So I was in a session with a sex therapist friend and discussing my feeling of a smaller than average penis.  In talking she mentioned that in her experience, she finds my size to be common to what she has seen.  I had another very good ex-girlfriend (from 30+ years ago) who has been with a number of men and in environments where she has seen naked men, tell me that I am very common in size.  Both conversations I shared the medical statistics of sizes and what average is and that I am definitely below average, as numbers don't lie.  The both were very adamant that my size is common (both have seen me naked) when erect.  They said flaccid size was so greatly different there was no way to really what was "average" but did say I was common in that as well.

Since it seems that when you put the word "Average" on something, there is always the notion of something being above or below average.  In the case of penis size, this can make people feel better or worse about their size.

I like the idea of replacing the word average with the work common, as it seems to relate to more real world expectations of people actually see.  Average is great if you have some mathematical need but common is likely what you might experience.  If someone says, "your penis is common sized" then there is no feeling that you are inadequate because you are considered common.  Common is a range, not a specific number.  I think this is a great term to use and hopefully is something that more people could start using.

Thing is, average also has ranges. Maybe I'm idealistic, but I'm always an advocate for changing thought than simply changing words.  I believe in challenging the stigma around any penis size, simply because we don't control it and it has no real bearing on a person's personality unless we give it that power. Unfortunately, many people do. 

17 hours ago, smallgrower said:

Howdy,

So I was in a session with a sex therapist friend and discussing my feeling of a smaller than average penis.  In talking she mentioned that in her experience, she finds my size to be common to what she has seen.  I had another very good ex-girlfriend (from 30+ years ago) who has been with a number of men and in environments where she has seen naked men, tell me that I am very common in size.  Both conversations I shared the medical statistics of sizes and what average is and that I am definitely below average, as numbers don't lie.  The both were very adamant that my size is common (both have seen me naked) when erect.  They said flaccid size was so greatly different there was no way to really what was "average" but did say I was common in that as well.

Since it seems that when you put the word "Average" on something, there is always the notion of something being above or below average.  In the case of penis size, this can make people feel better or worse about their size.

I like the idea of replacing the word average with the work common, as it seems to relate to more real world expectations of people actually see.  Average is great if you have some mathematical need but common is likely what you might experience.  If someone says, "your penis is common sized" then there is no feeling that you are inadequate because you are considered common.  Common is a range, not a specific number.  I think this is a great term to use and hopefully is something that more people could start using.

Yeah, good idea. 

Average of any sample is a number.  However, since we don't know the actual average of all men, we say with a probability confidence level that the true average lies withi a certain range or a certain % men are likely to be within a certain range.

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, smallgrower said:

They said flaccid size was so greatly different there was no way to really what was "average" but did say I was common in that as well.

I have always considered myself smaller than average, common or "normal" when comparing to other guy's flaccid size which is how we normally make comparisons. Being in several male nudist groups through the years, I am always smaller in both length and girth than the majority of the guys. When erect, I fall in the range of average, common or "normal" size.

3 hours ago, Restoredude said:

I have always considered myself smaller than average, common or "normal" when comparing to other guy's flaccid size which is how we normally make comparisons. Being in several male nudist groups through the years, I am always smaller in both length and girth than the majority of the guys. When erect, I fall in the range of average, common or "normal" size.

By your numbers, I think you're clearly above average when fully erect.

23 hours ago, Triasco9.5 said:

I believe in challenging the stigma around any penis size, simply because we don't control it and it has no real bearing on a person's personality unless we give it that power.

@Triasco9.5 What a truly great thought.  And it applies to so many areas of our lives that we don't have control over, yet we often allow it to control us.

I think we should all celebrate our uniqueness and be proud of who we are. And that should apply to our penis as well.  It is not who we are, but it is a part of us that we should enjoy to the fullest.

I know as a young boy I wanted nothing more than to be like everyone else in the locker room.  I wanted to be "common", just like everyone else, blend right in and not attract any attention.  But as I have said before, that wasn't the case for me.  I attracted a lot of unwanted attention that gave me cause to think that I was less than others were, just because my penis was different.  

Luckily, because of a wonderful wife, I don't have to worry about being uncommon, and can now celebrate the fact that I am not "common".  My foreskin, lack of girth and significant curve are something that make me unique.  And  I really do enjoy my uniqueness.  I wish I would have years ago.

Common, regular and average are boring.  Let's promote being unique.

I think it's ok you call it whatever term make the psychological difference for you.

In my case, those terms have different meanings. An example:

Taking into account this set of numbers:

[3, 4, 4, 4, 6, 9]

We can say the more "common" number in the set is 4, but the "average" of that group of numbers is 5 ([3+4+4+4+6+9]÷6=5).

So, it's perfectly possible the more common dick size around the world is below the world average dick size.

I had a teacher that demonstrated the trouble with averages and statistics, not knowing all the information

Mayor running for re-election.  "Average wage in our town is almost $49,000, we have prospered under my leadership"
Running candidate,  "Under this mayor we have a 25% unemployment rate and 75% of the people are living in poverty, he has ruined the economy "
Are they both true?

Mayor $195,000 yr
Candidate $250/yr
Voter 1 $250/yr
Voter 2 unemployed.

Average $48,875
Median 250
Mode 250

12 hours ago, Tsoren said:

I attracted a lot of unwanted attention that gave me cause to think that I was less than others were, just because my penis was different.  

Others of us are told we are less.

Using the word ‘common’ to describe erections that fall within a certain range of measurements that medical professionals and researchers deem as ‘average’ is a fair description I think. So, I guess the word ‘uncommon’ is also a fair description of those erections that fall below or above that middle range. Saying “He has an uncommonly small penis, or uncommonly large penis”, as the case may be, is an apt way to put it I guess. However, someone telling you that you have an uncommonly small penis seems a bit more severe to me than being told you have a below average sized penis. Does that make sense to anyone else? LOL.

Statistics and words are so much fun.  

If you took all the people in the world, and all the testicles of people in the world, one could deduce that "on average", every person in the world has one testicle.

At the same time, while it would be very common to find about half the people in the world with no testicles, and very common to find about half the people in the world with two testicles, it would be very uncommon to find many people with only one testicle.

After that strenuous mental workout, I think I will grab ahold of my little buddy and give him a good workout.

Edited by Tsoren

5 hours ago, canuck45 said:

We have a prime minister with no testicles or spine either.

Politicians are known for loosing their spine after winning the election. I do not know any correlations between politicians and testicles anyway.

To stay ontopic: I dont think we should use the common word instead of average. Instead we need to change the mindset of people not to think to a smaller of average penis as a disadvantage - because it is not.

(Sorry about my bad english) 

On 3/5/2020 at 12:16 PM, Allen43 said:

Using the word ‘common’ to describe erections that fall within a certain range of measurements that medical professionals and researchers deem as ‘average’ is a fair description I think. So, I guess the word ‘uncommon’ is also a fair description of those erections that fall below or above that middle range. Saying “He has an uncommonly small penis, or uncommonly large penis”, as the case may be, is an apt way to put it I guess. However, someone telling you that you have an uncommonly small penis seems a bit more severe to me than being told you have a below average sized penis. Does that make sense to anyone else? LOL.

"Common" has a negative connotation on which we could dwell also.  Does anyone really want to be common?

But, I agree, "uncommonly small" hits home a bit too hard for my tastes.